Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

"multi client"

snet0311
snet0311 Member ✭✭

Is the multi client option already available?

I would like to work on the Maestro and SmartSdr simultaneously.

The discussion started around 2017, but i couldn’t find any progress yet.

Cheers, Stefan

Comments

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes, multiplex has been available for several years now. Upgrade to the latest Flex Firmware, 3.2.39.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭

wenn du etwas mehr Informationen geben würdest könnte man dir ev. helfen. Hast du einen Flex 1000? Hast du die Version 1? Von was redest du ?

73 Chris

• snet0311
    snet0311 Member ✭✭

Hi Chris,

das Thema wird offensichtlich schon länger (Post's von 2017 "Multi Client") diskutiert.

Ich möchte meinen 6400M, was alternativ auch für die komplette 6000er Serie mit extern

betriebenen Maestro gelten sollte, simultan (gleichzeitig) über die (Maestro) Konsonsole und über die SmartSDR (aktuelle Version) Software bedienen. Soll heissen: z.B. Bedienung des VFO über Maestro, andere Einstellungen über die Software und umgekehrt.

73' , Stefan

• snet0311
    snet0311 Member ✭✭

Alan,

"Multi Client", not Multiflex.

73'

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Stefan, Check section 9 of the Maestro manual. It is a feature called SmartControl which lets you control your Flex using SmartSDR and the knobs and buttons of the Maestro simultaneously. You do not get the panadapter and waterfall on the Maestro using this feature, but everything else is available.

• snet0311
    snet0311 Member ✭✭

Hi Elmer,

FB! That's exactly what i was looking for.

Thanks and 73',

Stefan

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Excellent, I am glad that helped!

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

I had a combination of both during this past contest weekend.

For multiFLEX (=Multi-Client) I had an HP i5 desktop and an HP i7 desktop both running SmartSDR connected to my Flex 6600 radio. The i7 was operating SO2R for the contest on SSB, usually 2 bands simultaneously. The i5 was setup to chase the DXpeditions with one slice on FT8 and the other on CW.

To further test the software, I powered up my Maestro and used it for SmartControl! I used SmartControl for VFO and audio controls for the SO2R SSB bands on the i7. All features worked flawlessly (simultaneously) for the 48 hours of the contest weekend, although my focus was more on DXing, than Contesting.

Contest results were 440 SSB Qs (407K pts) on 160 thru 10.

DXpedition results on FT8 and CW were TL7M, HD8R, 7P8RU, 3A2MW, AP2HA, ER2FA, 8J1RL, etc.

Great to see so many DXpeditions again!

73, Bill NE1B

• Tonno Vahk
    Tonno Vahk Member ✭✭

I also used 6600 for Multi client + Smart Control during CQWW SSB for M2 operation. Two multiplier stations were using 6600 on different bands through LAN and both had Maestro for Smart Control.

Smart Control works very fine. But Multi client system has some serious flaws and things have not been thought through.

Unless I am not aware of some features or options I find following flaws making contest operating with two stations very difficult:

1. MIC profiles are not and cannot be fixed to a certain client. I have one client using MIC input at Radio and the other client using PC MIC through LAN. When stations are changing bands then the MIC profiles a randomly jumping around and conflicting each other. I would need them to be cemented and fixed with iron ties to a client but there is no way to do that as far as I know. It is a complete mess when both clients have to continuously change the MIC profile (as mic input is tied to that) back what it needs to be after band change.
    2. ANT RF Gain also changes sometimes back to maximum negative value when changing bands which means the band seems completely empty as if there were no stations. Operators have to always check that as well after band change. Not sure why this is happening. Again this should be fixed to a client and to the values set previously.
    3. TX antenna and RX antenna have to be switched independently. Both clients can choose ANT 1 or ANT 2 which will determine what Radio output and amplifier they use. Currently I do not know any way how to automate antenna switching so that when changing red TX antenna the RX antenna would follow. It would be a very useful option to lock the two. Currently the antenna changing from screen with mouse is painful enough and yet the trouble is multiplied by two.

I really need solutions to the first two issues if anyone out there is listening and can help.

ES5TV

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Each client should have unique global, transmit, and mic profiles.

if they are sharing the same global profile then it will cause issues.

Dave wo2x

• Tonno Vahk
    Tonno Vahk Member ✭✭

Hi Dave, I wish it were true and separate Global Profiles made them immune to each other.

It is not the case. I painstakingly created separate Global Profiles and recorded settings for each band (TX Profile, Mic Profile) and saved the Global Profile again.

Even though both clients have different Global Profiles and different TX and MIC profiles under it the MIC profiles get messed up when they move around the bands. Especially when they get to the same band then one client takes the MIC profile of the other even though they remain on separate Global Profiles.

Good example is that when you reload a Global Profile of one client then the MIC profile in this loaded Global Profile is activated also on the other client as soon as he changes the band. Absurd.

And while messing with the MIC profiles Flex also just in case turns the ANT Gain to zero so that ops would not copy anything.

I am not sure what to do about it.

Tonno

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Tonno

This should be covered in Persistence (section 18.7 of the SmartSDR User Guide)

If you create unique Mic profile for each client and then walk all the bands from 160-6M ensure that the right profile is loaded and set up correctly before moving to the next band they should track.

Once you have walked all the bands, you should be good to go.

TX and Mic profiles are also persistent, meaning, they are self saving in case you didn't know.

See if that helps,

• Tonno Vahk
    Tonno Vahk Member ✭✭

I am afraid the manual does not help. I have unique Mic profile created for both clients. I have walked all the bands and saved the unique Global profile for both.

Now when I recall a Global profile and walk the bands again on one client everything is fine and Mic profile is correct. When I recall Global profile of the other client and walk the bands with that client then everything is also correct and it has his own unique Mic profile on every band.

But returning to the first client Mic profile has been changed to the profile of the other client now on every band I go to.

So maybe it is Persistence or whatever which causes the Mic Profile of the other client to come up on the other one despite everything is unique and walked in. But definitely it does not work as promised and advertised. I am sure this problem may be replicated by others. I may create a video if that helps.

Tonno

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.