Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartLINK servers down ... again?

Options
W4AFK Bruno
W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭

I am in San Diego and my remote is in Florida. It's 23h05 UTC and I am encountering the same issue as what we had a month or so ago. Starting SmartLINK says that no radio is available.

• To test, I connected to a NUC on the LAN side and SmartSDR starts the Flex 6400
  • Internet connection is fine as I had to revert to my remote TS-480SAT and RemoteRig interfaces (been rock stable for years). The remote SPE amp is also working using the SPE client software over here.

The symptoms are exactly like last time: Start the app and it says that there is no radio available, which looks a lot like a Flex sever issue.

---------------------------

I wish I didn't have to rely of a 3rd party server to be able to use my radio (sigh).

And yes, I could setup a VPN and use a co-located computer, but that requires me to have a more powerful NUC on the radio side. What's there now is to manage the Flex for updates and other minor issues. I would need to get a more capable NUC

I run the software over here and connect via a 1Gbps U/D fiber link (FTTH) to a high-speed Cable modem on the radio end. No issues when it works.

If it wasn't for the Flex' capabilities and visual features, I would have just kept the TS-480SAT & RemoteRig for voice and data. Simple and reliable for years. Mind you, I like my Flex, but I totally dislike the reliance on a 3rd party sever.

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Bruno, it is 00:06 UTC (6:06 PM Mountain Time) on 10/22/2021 and I am able to connect using SmartLink. Are you still having the issue?

• W4AFK Bruno
    W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hi Len,

It's now 01h14 UTC (18h14 PT) and it's back on-line. Switched off the TS-480SAT and now using the Flex-6400 :-)

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hi Bruno

If you want to add a VPN, you can do it with SoftEther and a $30 RPI V3 and that works great.

It sounds like something on your network changed. When you connected remotely, did you check your router to see if the uPNP port forwards were accurate? Did the IP address of the radio change or did something change in your router?

This video helps explain how it works.

• W4AFK Bruno
    W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options

Mike ... FWIW - the network didn't change. When I could not get SmartLink to see anything even after reboots, I switched to my remote TS-480SAT which is linked via a pair of RemoteRig interfaces and this radio came up just fine (see my QRZ page). I was also in full remote control of the Expert 1.3KFA amp, the rotator and was able to access the Flex 6400 via a NUC on the LAN side. All of the above is all co-located with the Flex. I also use DynDNS so I confirmed that the ISP did not change any IP address.

As I noted above, the system was accessible later ... I had done nothing :-)

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

There are 2 other players in SmartLink - Auth0 and Azzure. It is possible one of them had an interruption. These can interrupt the change of authentication.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.