Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

USB mics for MacSSDR

Hi all,

While searching for USB mics, it seems there are only old Windows version questions, so here goes.

Anyone using a USB mic on their Mac to go to the radio?

Is there any particular latency?

Thoughts on what you're using?

Best Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I use a XLR based Microphone directly to my Mac, via USB.

There are various ways to do so. I use a Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB Audio interface.

Your choice of XLR based microphone.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

I have used about dozen different Mics on my MAC, and the all work. Latency really isn't an issue.

After you get it connected, make sure you put the radio into Full Duplex (FDX) and make sure you listen to yourself on a 2nd slice so you can tailor the audio to your liking. Much better than someone else telling you how they want you to sound.

This video is for SmartSDR, but the concept is identical and you can review the settings in the SmartSDR for MAC manual.

Answers

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭

Wow - that's a Caddilac of a solution I didn't think about! Thanks much Alan. Any others>

• mikestark
    mikestark Member
    edited October 2021
    I use a Shure SM58. The X2u adapter is compatible with Mac OS X operating systems (version 10.1 and later).
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭

Thank you much Mike! I was trying to locate a video like this for a while now.

-73 mike N3LI -

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭

One more question - is there a way to get the slice flags on SSDR for Mac to show up opposed to each other when the slices are on the same frequency? Not a huge deal - but when I'm using the process on the SSDR for Mac, the slice flags are on top of each other

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭

Does anyone use a software like Boom Audio with their USB mics? I'm getting terrible feedback when I try using it. Mic works FB without. I can turn it off every time, but if I forget, I'll drive people up a wall with the audio.