Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Confused about tx timings for CW and SSB

Options
I am a new owner of a Flex 6600 and the PGXL amp. I do not understand how to set the tx timings using the SmartSDR. If I go into settings, radio setup, tx, I have had been setting rx1 to 0 for ssb. Otherwise, the first letter gets cutoff when I operate SSB in VOX mode -- which I like to do. But for CW I have to set rx1 to 200ms, since I like to operate semi-break-in and not QSK on CW due to the sound of the relays in the amp. But this requires me to have the change rx1 setting from 0 to 200 or vice versa every time I change modes from SSB to CW. I am an active operator and I am frequently changing modes and bands. Is there a better way to do this? With my prior radios and amps, one tx delay setting worked fine for all modes and no changes were needed. How do other operators setup their tx timings with the Flex and PGXL? Thank you. 73, Dave, N4QS
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Dave

The menu you are looking at is for the RCA connectors on the back of the radio, TX1, 2 and 3. They have no effect on a PGXL since we don't use those connectors.

However, the TX Delay is something you should set to 20ms.

You could set separate TX profiles for CW and SSB. These are values saved.

This is further outlined in Section 18.3 of the SmartSDR User Guide.

Answers

• n4qs
    n4qs Member
    Options
    Mike, based on your suggestion, I created two tx profiles. For the ssb tx profile, I set the tx delay to 20ms. (This despite page 20 of the PGXL manually clearly stating that the TX delay in the 6600 should be set to 0.) For the cw tx profile, I set the tx delay to 200ms--to simulate semi-break-in. These delay settings seem to keep the PGXL happy for both modes. It would be nice if SmartSDR automatically saved the delay values by mode. Thank you. Dave, N4QS
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I was just reviewing the SmartSDR User Guide and the one I downloaded mentioned 20ms. However, there has been lots of discussion in various forums. 20ms is the recommended setting.

SmartSDR does save these settings automatically in TX Profiles.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.