Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I am having a problem getting any output power with JTDX

I have my 6400M connected to JDTX. When I press the CAT button, it turns green. So that is a positive. When I push the Tune Button, the red indicator moves over from the left to the right. But if I go to Test PTT, the transmitter Keys, but I get no output power and DAX TX shows no indication that it is transmitting. I have the audio set for DAX RX 1 for receive and DAX TX for the transmit side. And they are both set to Mono. Am I missing something? I have rebooted the PC and nothing seems to work. Hopefully I can get this solved before the day is done.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Comments

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

Have you reviewed the SmartSDR manual, specifically the section titled "Using DAX for Digital Modes"?

All of the steps necessary are in this section, including using the DAX user interface. Things to check include:

Is DAX TX enabled on the DAX UI? Is the level of the DAX TX set appropriately, again on the DAX UI panel? Is DAX enabled on the SmartSDR control panel? Is the output level from JTDX set correctly? Is the gain on the SmartSDR control panel set correctly?

The DAX user interface is the most important part of the link between application software and the Flex.

73, Craig - KØCF

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

I have come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the DAX. I can receive with no issues. I went into MMTTY and I hit the TX and the Transmitter Keys, but there is absolutely no output power at all. The red bar shows there is some activity, but the TX button is still yellow and it says DAX TX Off. If I press the button it turns grey and it says that DAX is off. I am not running SmartSDR. The only elements of SmartSDR that I use are the CAT and DAX. Could it be that I have something corrupted with the DAX? And if so can one download just that portion of the program? I don't want to have to re-do my CAT again. Any ideas?

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

Is there a document or video that I can watch where I can install JTDX without having to depend on SmartSDR to get things to work? I have a 6400M and getting very frustrated that this DAX program is a pain where the pill just doesn't reach!

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

I just watched a video where Mike went into SmartSDR and turned on DAX. But is there a way that one can turn on DAX without having to load SmartSDR?

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

No need to run Smart SDR.

on your 6400M front panel, push the lower far right button and make sure the TX DAX is on.

start up CAT and DAX. Make sure the name for the 6400M is selected.

Done

Alan. WA9WUD

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Also, turn on RX DAX and select channel on 6400M, by tapping on the slice. You will see a DAX channel selector

there is an excellent manual on the flex document downloads for the the 6400M

Alan

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

Alan,

Is this the Power Button?

When I push that I see the words DAX and that is highlighted.

Is this what you are referring to?

Or, am I misunderstanding you?

Mark

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Mark,

If you like, send me a direct e-mail. We can talk on the phone and do a Team Viewer session to fix your issue. I’m good in QRZ.

I think one of the things you are having a problem with is in DAX and CAT there is a pull down near the top to select the client to bind to. You have the M series I believe. You mentioned you can only get DAX to work when you are running SmartSDR. If you want it to work when using the front of the radio, use the pull down and select the front panel client instead of the PC name.

Dave wo2x

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

Guys, just an update, everything is working just fine. For some reason I think my DAX was corrupted. I deleted SmartSDR and installed a fresh copy. Everything is OK. Why this happened, I can't explain. But all is well now. By the way I did have the DAX Highlighted when I pushed the power button even before I installed the new download. Thanks for everyone's help.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Mark

There are very few reasons deleting SmartSDR fixes anything, but it seems to be something everyone wants to do. Do, you can bypass that step next time.

If you see it again, just shutdown SmartSDR DAX and your application program and restart both. If the problem continues, then do the same thing and reboot the radio.

If that doesn't do it, then you may want to open a support ticket. This way we can explain a few things that may be unique to your situation. Like getting a health check on your operation.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.