Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using Gridtracker on another computer

I've completely revamped my setup so that I can grab my laptop and go play remote radio. I wanted to leave all the logging software on another computer mostly because I didn't want to mess with logging while I was remote and it simplifies the multiple monitor setup.

Everything is fine when WSJT-X and Gridtracker are on the same computer. I also loaded Gridtracker on the laptop as well and that works fine. I could not get WSJT-X to talk to Gridtracker when they were on separate computers. I tried four hours worth of IP 127.0.0.1 and port 2237 and Multicast 224.0.0.1 combinations.

And then I thought what if I tell WSJT-X to use the IP address of the computer with Gridtracker (which I found with ipconfig)?

Viola!

In other words, stupidity eventually pays off! (At least in this instance).

But I didn't learn anything so anyone have any insights such as "go to your Foo -> Bar menu and set the Disgronifier to 3" or something like that?
Tagged:

Comments

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭

Lol... looking for my Disgronifier right now...

Seriously, multicast is a strange beast. I have actually found a couple of generic switches that some how do not pass multicast packets. No idea why and tech support was clueless.

A lot of firewall/routers don't do so well either.

I write a fair amount of my own stuff for radio and sending and receiving multicast stuff is just like black magic at times because not all apps are setup correct, including my own sometimes!

We just have too many protocols in ham radio, just like in other areas of tech and they don't always work well together. This is one reason I do my own stuff. I don't want to fiddle with keeping other apps happy when I can avoid it.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I know nothing about Multi-Cast, so I was asking Dave WO2X if we should have a nodered flow that can be the input for WJST, etc, and then have it sent to GridTracker rather than the daisy chain model I am using.

We are thinking about it.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Node-Red can manage your UDP broadcast sources and Destinations.

I use Node-Red to manage the WSJT-x UDP broadcasts from two instances of WSJT, from two possible PCs, re-transmitted to three destinations.

I do this by assigning each instance, each PC and each destination a unique port number and switch between the sources and re-broadcasting to each destination's port. All with Node-Red.

All necessary because I have multiple platform types and need to manage the sources of logging and QSO look-ups from multiple sources.

I run WSJT-X on Windows, Linux and Mac. I use Mac Based, MLDX for QSO lookup and logging. I use Mac JT Bridge and my own version of QSO alerting (on Node-Red).

Alan. WA9WUD

• mrosneck
    mrosneck Member ✭✭
    > A lot of firewall/routers don't do so well either.

I'm thinking this might be the issue. My Internet provider provides the router and it's a strange beast since it's actually connected to a radio.

My Internet was going down every 8 hours [Note] or so and they eventually solved the problem with a setting in the router. Stuff like this is magic.

Thanks,
    Mark KB0US

[Note] What was even stranger was that I could still ping Google but had no other Internet connectivity. Sometimes you just shake your head and move on.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.