Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR not working on VPN

I have setup a VPN at my house using a Raspberry Pi. The VPN works fine as I can log in to all my computers from the internet and I can also connect to the Flex with my iPhone SDR software via the VPN. When I connect via my iPhone, I see both the smartlink and local connection option for my Flex-6700. When I try connecting with my Mac, I only see the smartlink connection. At first I thought it was a DNS issue on the Mac laptop but I just connected via remote desktop to my shack computer and only used the computer name (not IP address).

Is there something I am missing in the Mac SmartSDR software setup. Again, the vpn works fine via iOS on my iPhone and iPad, just not on the Mac.

Burch

K4QXX

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Does your VPN do Layer 2 Bridging?

For SmartSDR to function on your Ethernet, it has to 'hear' the radio broadcasting that it is on the Network. Most VPN's won't send broadcast data over the tunnel. Some VPNs, such as SoftEther https://www.softether.org/, do and that allows SmartSDR to function.

When you do run SmartSDR over a VPN it will consume a lot more bandwidth since there is no data compression unless you are using SmartLink.

SmartSDR MAC should work on a your VPN, but you will have to do a direct IP address connection to the radio. It is an option in SmartSDR MAC.

• K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭

I am using SoftEther and I can connect via the VPN from Windows SmartSDR and from iOS, just not from the Mac version of SmartSDR. I have been running the SoftEther VPN for many years with no issues with Windows and iOS but I just recently tried it on the Mac.

Smartlink is fine unless you want to connect other software to your radio remotely. I have 500/500 internet at the house and my office has 200/200 so bandwidth isn't an issue.

• K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭

Mike, thanks for suggestion for the direct IP address connection. I am now able to connect via the VPN on my Mac Laptop.

Burch

K4QXX