Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Latest Flex Software and Windows 11

Latest Flex fails to install on my Windows 11. I realize Flex is not supporting Windows 11 yet but has anyone had success?

John N1JM

Comments

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭

if you don't have any problems then you can make your own - why are you using a version of windows that has not yet been released and which probably still contains some bugs. sorry I can't understand

73 Chris

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭

I have an extra machine here that I use to test Window 11. I just thought I would see if Smartsdr would install and work. This the first program that I have tried on Win 11 that has not worked.

73, John N1JM

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Working fine here on Dell XPS laptop with TPM 2.0 module installed.

What doesn’t work?

Dave wo2x

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭

John,

SSDR (3.2.39) has been working fine on Window11 Prerelease on my one PC that is qualified to run Win11 since Win11 was first announced.

But YMMV..

Chris.. Someone has to take the arrows ...

Al, K0VM

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

Almost a month of Windows 11 on my Dell XPS desktop.

SSDR works as before. No issues.

Robby

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Maybe the original author was trying to run Win 11 on an older, underpowered PC? Would be curious to know what didn’t work.

My main PC for normal operation is on Windows 10. I am a beta tester for MS (not the public previews) so part of the “requirements” is to use their products and software during the beta and provide constructive feedback. I use one desktop and my Dell XPS laptop for testing. Both contain the TPM 2.0 modules and meet minimum specs.

Dave wo2x

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭

John,

Is your W11 an insider upgrade from a previous w10 that already had SSDR installed or a clean install of W11 from an ISO image ?

AL, K0VM

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭
    edited September 2021

My W11 is an upgrade from W10 on the DEV channel(I am now on the beta channel), 21H2 OS build 22000.176. The laptop is a i5 8th generation with 8 GB of ram.

SSDR was not on it before. When I go to install SSDR, it asks the usual like where it will install and desktop icon, etc. but when it goes to install the program the installation window disappears. Once I got a GSOD. I've seem some talk on the internet that 22000.176 is somewhat troublesome.

John N1JM

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭

John,

Ok.. I am also running 22000.176 on the beta channel.. But SSDR was on mine before the upgrade to W11.

Is there any clue if you look at the windows Event Viewer ? or the Windows Security Protection History ? What happens if you watch the app start up in the Task Manager ?

Just throwing out things, hoping something would stick.

Not sure if the Helpdesk is ready to handle W11 but they may have seen something like it in W10,

AL, K0VM

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭

I suppose there is a clue somewhere in this application error log:

Faulting application name: SmartSDR_v3.2.39_Installer.tmp, version: 51.1052.0.0, time stamp: 0x5ec61809

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22000.120, time stamp: 0x8d9cbfd8

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x000e9e19

Faulting process id: 0x2a3c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d7a20f4e0ebfd4

Faulting application path: C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\is-7S0FO.tmp\SmartSDR_v3.2.39_Installer.tmp

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: e8be0f33-7694-460f-b69d-cd21c327ed75

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭

Interesting enough, I ran the installer in compatibility mode and SSDR installed.

John N1JM

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭

John,

It'll take someone smarter than me to figure to figure out what that error log means..

Glad you got it installed..

Al, K0VM

• Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2021

From the TechWiser web site: "While Windows 11’s stable version will drop somewhere around late fall,..."

That should give us a few months to get a better look at Win-11, avoid some of the early bugs, and decide whether to keep or drop it altogether.

While I believe my current PC is compatible. I should probably check in a few months to see if it is really compatible, based upon any changes that are released by then.

...still wishing there was a Linux version of SSDR...

• W4AFK Bruno
    W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭

I am sure that Flex is following the Win 11 release timeline as they know that their software will need to run in Win11.

I have 5 computers here (2 are laptops) and only 1 is "Win 11 ready". That happens to be the computer I use for ham radio (w/Win10 Pro). So, all of the others will stay on Win 10 and this one will move to Win 11 ... BUT ONLY after Flex confirms support. I live in San Diego and have a remote Flex 6400 in Florida that I run using my main computer or my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 tablet (which can't get Win 11 (sigh)). I use the FlexContol at home (also have a Flex-1500) and a low-cost USB control for the tablet from Amazon. It's compact and gives me a "knob" for the Surface Pro, and for much less than the FlexControl. It was pretty much "plug-and-play".

So, I am in no rush to "beta test" Win 11 as Win 10 is working just fine. I would have liked to "play" with Win 11 on a secondary computer but thanks to MS' requirements, apart from the one I use for ham radio, all of my other computers are now flagged as "EOL" (i.e., when MS stops support for Win 10, they become OBS).

SSDR for Linux - Not a bad idea but someone needs to develop that and as Linux is only used by a small subset of Flex users, as a business, the ROI is not there. I prefer that they focus on what they have and if a 3rd party is willing to develop something, then so be it.

• Reg VE9VC
    Reg VE9VC Member ✭✭

Hi Bruno, good info. Would you be able to tell me which exact model of " a low-cost USB control for the tablet from Amazon" you are talking about? I'm looking into this myself.

Thanks,

73 de VE9VC, Reg

• Just acquired a FLEX 6400. It came with ssdr 3.2.39 installed. I already dad SSDR INStalled on my HP Envy 360 laptop. I hooked them together and every thing functioned correctly, the first time. About the third, or fourth time I turned on, I got a page full of errors on the screen. I uninstalled and then re-installed vr. 3.2.39. The version appeared to install correctly, but would not work, got the same page full of errors as before. I then totally removed .all Flex software from the computer and re-installed vr. 3.2.39 again. Again, it appeared to install correctly, but would now run, and again the page full of errors. I then un-installed 3.2.39, again. Being totally fed up with vr,3.2.39, I installed vr. 2.### again. It worked perfectly the first time and continued to work fine sir several day.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

What did the screen full of errors show? They help to diagnose the problem.

Next time, can you post a screen shot please so we can figure it out.

• After several of successful operation of my Flex 6400, Windows 11, HP Envy, and ssdr 2.7.6, I decided to try ssdr 3.2.39 again. I made another fresh install in 3.2.29 I again un-and again it would not load any gave the same page full of errors. I again un-installed both vr 2.7.6 and vr 3.2.39. Then re-installed vr 2.7.6. It function
  • I seam to be doing something that sends my mesages before I am ready to send them. I wil tfh to continue again.
  • Well I did it again. To continue. After re-installing vr 2.7.6 for the umpteenth time with normal operation, I again re-installed vr 3.2.39. Again, it functioned perfectly for a few on/off cycle, then it would not turn on and the same page of errors appeared on the screen. Apparently, there is a compatibility problem with Windows 11 and vr 3.2.39. Surely, I am not the only operator to have experienced this problem. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I guess the only answer to this proplem is to roll back to vr 2.7.6 and wait for FLEX to address this issue.
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭

By any chance @johnn1jm is your Windows 11 machine a Surface Pro from Microsoft? A friend of mine had problem getting things to install on two different SPs — one on W10 and again just recently on W11. Flex support wrote him that it was a known issue.

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

Lon,

Your PC may not be able to use Windows 11. To find out, have a look at this:

Not sure if your PC is compatible with Windows 11? Here's how to check - CNET

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022

@John WA7UAR My laptop is a 3 year old Lenovo Flex 14. Actually as you can read earlier in this thread I ran the installer in compatibility mode.

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

One of the system requirements for Windows 11 is Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0. Newer PCs have this chip installed on the mother board.

Before I bought my Dell 8940 desktop I checked to see if the i7 11th generation (i7-11700) was Windows 11 compatable.

Find out if a processor is on this list- Windows processor requirements Windows 11 supported Intel processors | Microsoft Docs/ This list was updated last on 1/17/2022.

Ensure that the motherboard has the TPM v2.0 chip installed.

If the result of both of the above checks are positive the PC should be Windows 11 compatable.

My free upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 went smoothly and without errors.

I believe it is advisable to make these checks before purchasing a new PC.

Robby/HP3SS

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Lon has been using win11 with v2 of SmartSDR. It’s v3 of SmartSDR that won’t load.

• W4AFK Bruno
    W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭

FYI (follow-up) - After updating from Win 10 to Win 11, SmartSDR 2.7.6 loaded just fine, and all has been working for several months without any problem. The Win 11 computer was "Win 11 ready". As noted earlier, my other computers are not Win 11 ready, so they are staying on win 10.

BTW, I didn't move to SmartSDR 3.x as I don't need the additional "features". 2.7.6 works just fine with my remote 6400 :-)

• LA9KY
    LA9KY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    In audio mixer settings in win11 the volume bar for Smart SDR is greyed out, so no sound, It did work but I suspect a driver change. The headset which is set as Standard, does work for other apps, as Audacity etc.
    the bar for SmartSDR DAX is ok.
  • LA9KY
    LA9KY Member ✭✭
    > @LA9KY said:
    > In audio mixer settings in win11 the volume bar for Smart SDR is greyed out, so no sound, It did work but I suspect a driver change. The headset which is set as Standard, does work for other apps, as Audacity etc.
    > the bar for SmartSDR DAX is ok.

would like to delete the comment, problem solved, driver related.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.