Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Not Seeing Power or SWR Meter Activity When Transmitting with Heil HM-10-XD on 6600

The radio keys up, the power button turns red but no meter activity when speaking. I initially was trying to use my Heil footswitch with an RCA adapter and the same mic (Heil-10-XD) when I noticed this issue. I switched to plugging in the PTT cord for the mic, still no meter activity. I DO see fluctuations in the panadapter waveform however when transmitting and speaking. I switched back to the FHM-3 mic and I see meter activity. I have the Heil connected to the radio via the Flex Radio ACC-4PXLR-TRS (4 Pin XLR to 1/8in (3.5mm) TRS and RCA for FLEX-6400(M) or FLEX-6600(M)). All connections are secure and I've triple-checked that I am plugged into the PPT and Mic ports on the back of the 6600. Any suggestions for resolving this would be appreciated. Thank you! 73, N4RFX
Tagged:

Answers

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

Just a thought. Have you made the correct selection on the side-screen of the ssdr display as to which type of input you are using?

The selection includes Mic, Bal,Line, Acc. If you have not selected the correct one (I think it would be Acc in your case) then you will appear to transmit, but nothing will happen on the display. I have been caught out by this before, myself. I use Bal, as I have a Heil mic and plug it into the 1/4" TRS socket at the rear. Not sure if you also have to click on "+acc" as well. I am using SSDR for Mac, so you might have slightly different display....

Good luck. Hope you sort it easily.

73 de Mike G4GWH

• N4RFX
    N4RFX Member ✭✭
    Hi Mike,

Thank you. I have the Mic selected since I'm using the standard mic and PTT ports on the back of the 6600. I did test your suggestion. I get no response anywhere. With my current config with the Heil mic I do get an increased amplitude on the panadapter waveform when I key up and speak.
  • N4RFX
    N4RFX Member ✭✭
    Hmmm...I just had the thought to turn off Slicer 6000 and for the moment it appears to have solved the issue. I had Slicer config for FT4 and Log4OM. Since I'm using them, do I need to configure something in Slicer for the new mic, adapter, and PTT footswitch?
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

When using ft4, is the flex set to digiu or digil? When using the mic, is usb or lsb selected?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@N4RFX

It helps if you show a screen shot of SmartSDR with it failing. 99% of the time, we can see what is wrong right away.

• N4RFX
    N4RFX Member ✭✭
    > @"John KB4DU" said:
    > When using ft4, is the flex set to digiu or digil? When using the mic, is usb or lsb selected?

Hi John, It's working fine with digital modes. No issues. The issue is with the Heil mic using the Flex Radio adapter.
  • N4RFX
    N4RFX Member ✭✭
    > @Mike-VA3MW said:
    > @N4RFX
    > It helps if you show a screen shot of SmartSDR with it failing. 99% of the time, we can see what is wrong right away.

Mike, I have two short video files to demo the issue. How do I get them to you? I don't see a way to attach to these comments. E-mail to you?
  • N4RFX
    N4RFX Member ✭✭
    @VA3MW
    Mike, could this simply be a bad Flex Radio adapter (ACC-4PXLR-TRS (4 Pin XLR to 1/8in (3.5mm) TRS and RCA for FLEX-6400(M) or FLEX-6600(M))
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

Check the adapter with an Ohmmeter?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@N4RFX

Not sure. I would suggest you get a support ticket opened and then they can work through it with you.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118688-How-to-Submit-a-Request-for-Technical-Support

• N4RFX
    N4RFX Member ✭✭
    Thanks, everyone, got it all sorted out thanks to Ken at Flex Radio Support. Working well.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

What was it? The details might help someone else.

• N4RFX
    N4RFX Member ✭✭
    @AB6BT

Here's what was recommended:

For the Heil Mic, which is a dynamic Mic, you do NOT need to have the BIAS enabled in the Mic Profile.

You DO need the +20 Mic Preamp.

I noticed that you are getting a little deflection on the Mic LEVEL Meter with the Heil mic, but it is not high enough.

Adjust the Mic Gain Slider until the PEAK indicator on the LEVEL meter reaches to about -5 on the meter.
    ( Have circled the Mic Gain slider, which is where I have mine set for my Heil PR22UT mic)

NOTE: The LEVEL meter has a dual indicator.
    The Solid Bar is the AVERAGE level indicator.
    The Little Line that dances ahead of the solid bar is the PEAK indicator.
    Use the PEAK Indicator to adjust your Mic Level.
    (I have an arrow on the picture to indicate the PEAK indicator)

For these Heil Mics you may need to set the Mic Gain slider to as high as 80-90 or so.
    Note: I am getting a good level of Compression, because I am using the DX+ setting for COMP.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.