Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

XVTR Transverter help

How can I tell if there is any output on the XVTR port? I have a DEMI 2m transverter and receive works fine, but no TX. I have tried everything, followed the step to set it up and everything is correct (confirmed with DEMI). Is there a way to tell if me port is even putting out 10db or not?

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Do you have your TX Band Settings set up correctly? Here is how I have mine. I am using RCA TX 2 for the transverter and RCA TX 3 for the amplifier. I could use only TX2 if I used a Y cable to route the PTT signal to both pieces of gear. In my arrangement, I need to pass the PTT signal to the transverter and amp.

You can tell if your XVTR port is transmitting by opening a second panadapter, set it to the IF of your transverter (usually the 28 MHz band) and turn on Full Duplex (FDX). Set the transmit slice to transmit on XVTA, and the second slice to receive on RX A. Now transmit, and you should see your signal on the second panadapter. This won't tell you how much output you are getting, it will just show you if you have any output at all.

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭

Forgot to mention, this is on a FLex 6300

• KD0RC

Ah, OK so you would use the XVTR port and the TX jack to pass PTT to the transverter. Your transverter is a common IF, not a split IF type, right?

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭

Yes correct and thats exactly how I have it setup. I'm wondering if the XVTR port is not seeing any output.

• KD0RC

What does your TX Band Settings screen look like?

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭

I have a 15pin din setup for the TX key for the transverter which is working.

• KD0RC

OK, cool. So does the PTT from the Flex to the transverter connect to the ACC connector or to the TX connector on the radio?

• KD0RC

OK, so it sounds like the physical setup is good, and the software options are set correctly. Next I would do the procedure using Full Duplex to see if you are getting output from the Flex. You could also use a separate 10 meter receiver to do the same thing.

• KD0RC

Oh I just realized... Since you have a 6300, you don't have a RX A, so just use ANT1 or ANT2 to receive on the second panadapter.

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭

Well, I just setup my DEMI to have a high input (load resistor was in it). With 6 watts drive (10w max in that setup) I get a 4amp draw on the amp. I have not been able to check the power out yet, I don't have a 2m power meter yet (on the way). So, with this setup as a low drive (under 250mw) the draw on the transverter did not change over idle current. So, it looks like the Flex XVTR port is in need of a repair.

• J.C. W4QK
    J.C. W4QK Member ✭✭

I'm not familiar with the 6300 since I have a 6400M. You may have already checked this but make sure in the Radio Setup, XVTR tab that you have Rx Only disabled.

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021

Yep, thats what it looks like. I wish there was a way to check the output of the XTVR port because I'm sure its the problem. I submitted a ticket to support to see what they say and maybe sent this in for repair.

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭

Does anyone know how to test the XVTR port to see if there is any output?

• KD0RC

I gave you the way to do that twice, have you tried it yet?

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭

Yep, just did that, REC1 on XVTR tuned to 147.240 which I guess does not matter, REC2 using ANT1 and tuned to 28.000. On key up, nothing heard or seen on pan adapter for second receiver.

• KD0RC

2nd receiver should be on 31.240 ( assuming you are set for simplex).

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021

Tried that, still nothing. Receive works fine with the transverter.. Strange.

• KD0RC

Ah, well it might be time to submit a helpdesk ticket.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

A couple of things.

Is your transverter Split IF? Len asked but you didn't answer.

Can you post screen shots of SmartSDR on your operating frequency and your XVTR setup on your 6300.

If you open a support ticket, Len or Ken will ask for the same information.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.