Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Selection of Smart SDR software for my computer

Hi. I am new to Flexradio. I purchased my 6600M one week ago, and it was delivered 3 days ago. My question: I have multiple computers on which to run SmartSDR software, but unsure about where to start. I have iMac desktop, as well as a Windows 10 machine with i3 processor, and multiple XP machines. I understand I do not need to have a computer to run the 6600M, as the screen on the front panel is fine. But when I get far enough along to run a computer with my Flexradio, I would like to know the best place to start. Also. Is a copy of SmartSDR for Windows included in the price of my radio? Or do I have to purchase the Windows version separately? I understand the Mac version is to be purchased separately, as is the IOS version, but just wondering about the Windows Version.

Best Answer

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The Windows version is a free download from the FlexRadio Website. The $199 fee is only for upgrading from one major version to the next. Your just purchased radio is licensed for version 3, the latest. Note that the license for the SmartSDR software is attached to the radio, not the owner. If a new version were to be released and you have more than one Flex radio, you must purchase an upgrade for each radio.

You can freely install SmartSDR on as many Windows PCs as you like.

73, Craig, KØCF

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

SmartSDR for Windows can be loaded on as many machines as you want. There is no charge. Feel free to experiment to see which machines have enough resources to run the software.

I would guess that your XP machines are too far out of date to run (or run well), but there is no harm in trying to see what happens. I think I would start with the Win 10 machine to see how it fares. SmartSDR does not take a lot of horsepower to run, so the i3 may be fine.

I got a gaming laptop (Dell G7 7700) for my 6400; not because of SmartSDR, but because of things like CW Skimmer, which takes quite a bit of compute power. Whether your existing computers are up to the task will depend a lot on other software (skimmer, logging, etc) that you may be running.

So give it a try and let us know how you fare with your various computers.

• MarkS
    MarkS Member ✭✭
    You probably want to make sure your Mac hardware and OS version meet the minimum requirements for the OS X SmartSDR before you purchase the OS X version. The OS X SmartSDR has some fairly stringent requirements. As far as the PC versions - no harm in trying. You can also try using a OS X Windows Virtual Machine if you have one. Mark, wd9jen
  • docjohn
    docjohn Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"Thanks for that. I have the newest update of the Mac Big Sur program with the i7 chip, so the Mac should’ve ok, should I want to go with that. I was under the impression that I also would have to purchase the Windows version of SmartSDR for $199.99 and did not want to do that as well as the Mac version.\n So, for now, I am running the 6600M on its own without a computer, and it has worked well right out of the box.\n Looking forward to the new users webinar tomorrow evening.\ncheers, John\n"}]
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi

Welcome to FlexRadio and your radio.

You may also find that we have some videos here that might help you out too.

• docjohn
    docjohn Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"Thanks! So far, everything is impressive! Now I have a world class station!\ncheers! John\n"}]
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Glad you got it working John! Which Windows computer did you go with (or did you go for the Mac)?

• docjohn
    docjohn Member ✭✭
    Gentlemen: Thanks so very much for your answers to my questions and comments. The radio is not even a week old, so I am not totally up to speed on the setup. I have the manual, and have made a couple of contacts on 20 meters with it already, with good signal reports. But I have not yet set up the Windows SmartSDR program yet, as I a doing a "house cleaning" of that machine before I give it the old college try. Sooner or later I will find a machine to run that software. The first best candidate is my Windows 10 machine from Dell, with a i3 processor. My iMac is a Late 2014 model, with 16GB memory, 4GHz quad core i7 processor (Intel) and running 11.5.2 of macOS Big Sur. My guess is that will probably work, too. But I want to have a go at the Windows machine first. Thanks again for all your comments.

Cheers,
    John

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.