Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Audio delay on Maestro receive of around 0.5 seconds

2»

Comments

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭

Hi John, what Flexradio do you have? I did experience big delays with 6400 6600er series.

Volker

• John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭

Volker, Mine is a 6700

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭

Ok, thanks.

• W3TAC_Tony
    W3TAC_Tony Member ✭✭
    Due to the audio delay problem; my 6500, Maestro, local wired LAN and switch, MARS-ALE stops scanning on the next (wrong) channel when an ALE signal is received at one channel per second. At five channels a second, it will stop two or three channels later missing the call.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

The latency in Windows Audio is a well known issue and this is not an issue with SmartSDR on a PC or SmartSDR on a Maestro which runs embedded Windows.

I discuss it in detail here:

It is a Microsoft issue to resolve however if we can figure out a better way we will be happy to integrate it. As Tim mentioned we always continue to do things to improve latency.

I hope that helps.

• Les Brown
    Les Brown Member ✭✭

Has this issue of audio delay been fixed? The last message was from February, 6 months ago.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Les, it is very doubtful that Microsoft will do anything about the latency through Windows. It is not something that is noticed by most of their user base.

I get audio from the speaker jack on the back of my 6400 when I operate from home, so the Windows-induced latency is not a factor. When I operate remotely and take audio from my laptop, I can really tell the difference as I not only get the latency from Windows, but also get the added latency from the Internet.

So if latency is an issue (as in the ALE example, above), taking audio from the rig itself will help quite a bit.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

Please, has this issue been fixed? I need to know before I start testing work. Thank you, Dan WA1QZX

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭

Still the same delay.

Volker

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

Oh my. Thank you. Dan

• Newly purchased 6400 Nov 2022. Started the ARRL 10m contest using fresh install of windows 10, SmartSDR (v3.3.33). Audio routing though the PC still has delay. After just 30 minutes I switched to a direct audio connection for RX however I had to live with pc routed TX mic audio.

I was hoping to build a remote contest station using a flex but simply not going to work. If you are running a frequency you may not notice because stations are calling you. I enjoy S&P and it was painful. I didn't even attempt CW.

Currently considering returning the radio unfortunately.
  • ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@n3basradio Audio delay is barely noticeable with iOS or Mac.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@n3basradio

The audio delay is well documented and we understand your concerns. It has always been recommended that the audio via the rear of the radio is much faster.

The good news is this is on the top of the list for our engineering team, and (I will get in trouble for leaking this), we have seen significant improvements with the hope this will be released in 3.4. They are working to finish the optimization improvements at this time.

If you have the ability to use the audio from the back of the radio for contesting, we recommend doing it.

More to come.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.