Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL 3.6.21

Robby
Robby Member ✭✭
edited August 2021 in Power Genius XL Amplifier

SSDR shows 1700W, Utility shows 1380W. LP-100A also says 1380W. Drive at 48W. Increase to 49W activates APC. This with meffa on. SWR 1.03:1

Comments

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭

Is this on 6M or 160M by any chance Robby?

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

Hi Larry,

I tested on 14025 FM. It is a little different on CW but I wanted a constant carrier.

I'm not complaining but I live in Panama where the legal limit is 2KW, not that 1500W is not sufficient but its not making it unless I am doing something wrong. Always a possibility. SSDR PO does not match the utility. I believe the LP-100A power readings.

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭

Hi Larry, I think there is an internal power limit on 20m if I recall correctly. The power reduction on regions puzzles me, too. Power at antenna is the limit, at least here in Germany. If you have a long feedline it might be reduced significantly by 1 or 2dbs on 6m e.g.

Regards

Volker

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

This morning the SSDR panel was not indicating anything. I finally had to power cycle the PGXL to get that back.

This morning I have tested on 20, 15 and 10M. I cannot get 1500W on any of these bands. The drive from my 6400 is throttled to 55W.

Even more disturbing, if I want to operate barefoot, I have only 55W with the utility on standby or even closed. I powered down the amp at the rear panel and still only 55W available to me.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Robby

You didn't say if you are using MeFFa or not. With MeFFa on, it will vary as it locks down the gain settings.

If you are still seeing very large inconsistencies please open a support ticket so it can be diagnosed accuratly.

M

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

Mike,

I have tried with meFFa and without. It is the same. My 6400 has been throttled to 55W. I hope this is a mistake and not policy.

If I close the utility and power down the amp I still only get 55W from my 6400 barefoot.

I have my LP-100A very close to the output of the amp. When SSDR reads 1700W the LP-100A reads 1380W. Tested on 20-15-10M.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Please open a support ticket.

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

The inconsistency that troubles me the most is that my 6400 output has been throttled.

I believe you have a PGXL. Why don't you try it. Right now one of my remote ops is testing it.

Since I can remove the power from the PGXL, I can only assume that something evil has been done to my 6400.

This is not a problem with the PGXL in my opinion. It is S/W in SSDR or F/W in my radio.

I hope I'm wrong.

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

Sorry Mike,

My max power in SSDR setup (TX) has been set to 55. Wonder how that happened.

I changed it back to 100 and now it is working and I have control. I wonder how it got set to 55.

I didn't do it.

An easy fix I should have thought of first.

I will keep an eye on it.

Otherwise I love the amp.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Hi Robby. glad you got it figured out, If you run FRStack it will change the power limit too, otherwise it is in settings menu under "TX Band Settings"

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

Thanks Bret,

But I am being overtaken by events. WAE this weekend and I don't have an 80M antenna.

I will get this set up soon I hope, I only received the PGXL on Thursday and have spent way too much time playing with it if that's possible. Learning lots.

Love it.

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

Using TX band settings gave me a good result. Whatever the last power setting on a band is recorded and the drive is set accordingly on return to that band.

I still have the issue that the SSDR panel failed to show any indications on startup and the PGXL had to be reset by cycling the power off then on. Has this happened to anyone else?

I have noticed that the SSDR panel shows significantly higher output than the utility and other measuring devices so I don't pay much attention to it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.