Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

LAN Connection solution.

Options

In order to connect a TGXL to my 6600M and Mac PC, I understand I will need a Network Switch, to accommodate the additional LAN cable, as both Flexradio items only come equipped with one LAN port. My Apple PC also only has one LAN port, so there is only one possible inter-connect between radio and PC. (I do not use the station connected to the internet, so will not have the “extra” LAN ports that my router has at the rear available to me).

Is there a “best solution” connection to be had? I really would not like to buy exclusively manufactured Chinese products if I can help it. Possibly an American made device? Over here in the UK the most compatible solution is a Netgear GS108, but it is manufactured in the Far East. Am I stuck for choice on this?

It would make a lot of sense to get a switch-box that needs a 12v dc supply, and the standard 2.1mm power socket, rather than a sometimes-found 5v.dc supply requirement. I can then run it from shack 12v (13.8v!!) power lines. 

Mike. G4GWH

Best Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Mike

Understand, you do not want an internet connection, but this does not preclude your use of a router to assign IP address to your local LAN connected devices.

I suggest you select a router that meets your power connection need, plug your ethernet cables into the router. However, do not plug anything into the WAN port (internet). Your LAN is isolated from the outside world.

If you use only a "switch", there will not be a central device to assign IP Addresses, and your computer will then act as the DHCP server. It would work, but not ideal.

Alan

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello Alan.

Thanks for your tip. So I can just use an internet router as a "Network Switch" and not actually connect it to the internet? Sound like a good plan, as British Telecom routers are plentiful on the likes of eBay.

The TGXL manual uses the terminology of Network Switch in its diagrams, so I guess it should be regarded as a generic term and it is up to the user to find their own solutions.

The idea of using a spare router appeals well, as there are usually at least 4 LAN sockets on the rear.

Mike G4GWH

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Mike - yes, your understanding of my suggestion is correct.

Alan

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • Mike Steventon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Many thanks for that, Mike. I guess I have a choice, so either use a “spare” internet router and just use it as a network switch, or obtain a specific-for-the-purpose network switch like the Chinese Netgear one I mentioned.

Now, I just have to wait for an eternity before the TGXL becomes available in the UK………!!!!

Mike G4GWH

• Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Mike, you will probably be stretched to find something not made in China when it comes to a router or switch.

I recently bought this one from Amazon, I don't have internet either so just use the 4 ports.

Rich

• Mike Steventon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, Rich, I hear what you say re. source of routers!

i have just had a look at the one you gave link to, and it does appear to have all that is needed for my application, including what looks like a 2.1mm 12v power supply socket. Not bad for less than £20. Plenty of time to consider the options, as there is very little chance of getting a TGXL in the UK this side of Christmas!

73 de Mike G4GWH

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I suggest getting the lan working early, dealing with any issues like RFI in the cables. Then when a new piece of equipment is installed, troubleshooting is easier.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.