Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL Clicking

In the last 2 weeks I have been hearing a clicking or creaking sound every few seconds after the amplifier gets warm. Usually around 60 degrees C range. The amp was received March 1. Power output is fine, I usually run it around 900- 1000 watts out, although it will easily run 1500 watts on all bands. I attribute this to normal thermal expansion and contraction. Should I be concerned? Does anyone else have a similar observation?

73, Bill NE1B

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Bill,

I hope you are doing well.

My PG XL “clicks” when cooling down. It appears to be thermal expansion/contraction as you suspect. I received the amp here at home in April. It seems to be settling in and I do not notice it (or I just haven’t been listening for it). I can’t answer for the PG XK at my remote site as I am not there to hear it.

I hope to move that setup to another tower site and will test when I do get to the remote site for maintenance,

Dave wo2x

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Dave! Yes, same on warm up and cool down cycles. I was wrong on the date. Mine was also the first week of April 2021, not March. I have been using it so much chasing DX on all bands that it seemed longer! It has been flawless and having great results! The only "feature" I would want added is a power down/power up feature. That will have to be external on the 240 Vac.

Bill

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

I also get the clicking when cooling down and first thought it was relays clicking in to vary the speed of the fan but thermal expansion/contraction makes more sense as you would think fan speeds would be done without relays.

Man, just lovin this amp. 😍

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

The amp is a beast!

I like the integration to the Flex ecosystem and look forward to the Tuner Genius. Radio - PG XL - TG XL - 2x8 switch. maybe splurge on some good bandpass filters if needed for SO2R contesting.

Dave wo2x

• Brian  K0BUS
    Brian K0BUS Member ✭✭

Just opened a ticket on this issue. They requested some additional info, I sent it, no word yet.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

This sounds like thermal clicking on the heatsink. My OEM amp does this too.

• Brian  K0BUS
    Brian K0BUS Member ✭✭

Carefully turn the amp on its side and check all screws. I found some that were not tight.

• DaveABQ
    DaveABQ Member
    [{"insert":"Mine is doing the same thing after TXing and cool down. Didn't do it for a month, now it's doing it. \n"}]
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

No any clicking here

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

Mine is clicking still on warm up and cool down. Even after replacement of the blown LDMOS (dis-assembly, re-assembly)at the factory. I am now running the "C" mode all the time and watch the temperature range. My T11 higher VSWR Log Periodic (1.5:1), on 6 meters, heats up faster than my 6M7 M2 (1.2:1), so I try to keep it below 70C.

• Dennis KC6CQD
    Dennis KC6CQD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Mine is clicking as well on warm up and cool down at about the same temp on warm up and cool down. It appears to be doing this when the fans change speed for temp change. Can we get a verification that this is normal or does it have a issue.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

This is normal. Thanks to thermal dynamics, when the heat sink gets warmer, it gets bigger. When it cools down it gets smaller. It is to be expected as the physical movement can cause a clicking as well as the heatsink expands and contracts.

I hear this in OEM amps as well that I own. And, it is nothing to be concerned about.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

Michael, Should I open a ticket as mine is not clicking? :)

• Mike-VA3MW

You aren't working it hard enough! :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.