Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is anybody using SmartSDR for Mac for serious contesting?

Options
Ignacy
Ignacy Member ✭✭

Did anyone try to use SmartSDR for MAC for serious contesting? To benefit from minimal lag.

An easiest way would be to use CAT and DX with N1MM+ on a separate PC or under Parallels. But then, perhaps a lag would appear in voice memories.

Can N1MM under Parallels use DAX under MAC?

Is SmartSDR for MAC stable for contesting? The last version for Windows 3.2.39 seem to be finally stable.

Ignacy NO9E

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

I ran CQWW SSB remotely.

I setup the MAC with a footswitch and used a RadioSport headset for the audio (user part) and a FlexControl knob. This was with SmartSDR for MAC OS.

I then had N1MM running on another computer with SmartSDR CAT and DAX connected to the same radio for logging. Since I was remote, this PC was local to the radio and I used another computer and Anydesk to connect to it so that I did not have to move DAX Audio over the internet.

It worked very well and I would do it again as it was very simple to setup and very reliable. The top screen is the AnyDesk remote to the PC local to the radio. This is a great tool as I can use a PC or a MAC to connect to it. There is another keyboard below the bottom of the picture that I use for N1MM entry on the AnyDesk connection.

My remote station only has about 2mb/sec reliable upload and I no issue even running SO2R at times. Essentially I replaced the Maestro with the MacBook Pro.

This is a big advantage that the Flex infrastructure design in that you don't have to have everything on the same computer like you do with other OEM radios. You can spread out the data. And, you could easily expand this for N1MM partner mode using MultiFlex and even do it remotely if you wanted to.

Mike va3mw

Answers

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ignacy,

I have not used SmartSDR Mac for serious contesting... yet...

Typically when I contest I do CW so I don't worry too much about the DAX for voice memories. I use an external WinKeyer USB to key the radio and run N1MM on either a Windows VM (less stable) or a Windows laptop.

I've only done that for short CWT contests and it works. However I did find that having to have the Mac and Windows was a PITA.

So it is a bit of a catch22. I think in general the mac is very stable and Marcus has done great on SmartSDR Mac, but N1MM will not run on the mac directly. I did try to install it in CrossOver but it refused to work.

So as a developer I have started my own Mac N1MM clone specifically for the the purpose of using native software with the Mac. But this project is slow and is a long time before it will be worth anything.

So I hate to say it, a Windows laptop, N1MM and standard SmartSDR seem to be the way to go until such a time as we can get true N1MM functionality on the Mac.

I know some people use Skookum and others but I've not found any of them to be really SmartSDR mac friendly.

And now that Apple has gone M1 it is difficult to even run Windows in Parallels and VMWare. I have intel Macs so I don't have an issue but I'ver heard of lots of problems under the M1 for running Windows. They'll sort them but it may take time.

• Ignacy
    Ignacy Member ✭✭
    Options

Does AnyDesk have any special advantage over other programs like the Teamviewer? Which version of AnyDesk do you run? Do you do SO2R?

SmartSDR for Mac has voice memories. Are these useful in contesting at all?

Ignacy NO9E

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.