Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro with Smartlink

Hello Maestro users,

Im considering adding a Maestro to my flex radio remote rig. I use an IPad with SmartSDR to operate locally and remotely. Marcus recommends manual port forwarding with smartlink for use with his iOS apps. So I am currently configured to use manual PF and its working well. Will a Maestro also operate remotely via smartlink using manual Port forward or must one use automatic mode with UPnP?

Thank you,

Mitch

KE0UAS

Comments

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Yes. Maestro can use the same PF that you have already configured.. Whether you use Manual or uPNP

is dependent on your Network infrastructure, not on the radio or client ( Maestro/iPad ).

AL, K0VM

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

“Whether you use Manual or uPNP is dependent on your Network infrastructure, not on the radio or client ( Maestro/iPad ).”

Indeed, that is true. However, whether you use uPnP is also dependent on whether you trust the implementation of uPnP in your router. There were some routers with easily compromised versions of uPnP.

• flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭

That answers my questions. Manual PF is working well for me so I didn’t really want to have to switch. Thank you all for the info!

Mitch

KE0UAS

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited July 2021

FRS highly supports not doing a Manual Port Forward, and in fact, I just did a video on it.

The reason being is that if you have a problem, having DHCP and uPNP working in unison makes it easy to recover if something goes wrong.

It is 100% dependant on your network expertise.

• flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭

Very informative video, Mike. Thank you for sharing!

Mitch

KE0UAS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.