Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartCAT Issues

Ed, K0KC
Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
edited July 2021 in SmartSDR for Windows

Colleagues,

I have not been reading posts to this Community lately, so I apologize in advance if I am bringing up an old issue that has already been resolved. I did do some searching without finding a solution to my problem.

I own a Flex-6700 and have been running SmartSDR 2.7.3. I have not fired-up this rig for a couple of months but did so today to engage in some 40 meter FT8. After starting SmartSDR, JTDX and WSJT-X were each unable to connect to the Flex. I noted that SmartCAT was not running which was the problem. I then tried to start SmartCAT several times manually, but it would not start.

Since I had last used my Flex-6700, there have been several Windows 10 updates including an update to .NET 5.0.8. .NET 5 is required for the latest version of JTAlert which I use for FT8.

Well, I tried updating SmartSDR to the latest 2.7.6 version (latest at least for version 2.x.x), but the problem did not go away. While I was busy "scratching my head" about the problem, SmartCAT 2.7.6 did finally start after about 5 minutes! SmartCAT had created two TCP ports (5002 and 5004) which I think is the default for a new install. I had previously created several COM and PTT ports when I was running 2.7.3, but they were not available in 2.7.6. I tried to create COM and PTT ports but SmartCAT would not let me do so and it returned an error message.

I was able to get the Flex-6700 running with JTDX and WSJT-X by using the TCP ports, but I usually like to treat the Flex-6700 as a TS-2000...it just sees more stable in that setup.

I suspect the .NET 5.0.8 update, but I do not want to downgrade as I depend upon JTAlert for FT8 work. I do not want to downgrade JTAlert either as I like the new features in the latest upgrade.

So, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and found a solution or if an upgrade to SmartCAT is in the works.

Thanks,

Ed, K0KC

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

Usually, when this happens Windows has either turned on your Firewall or changed the status of the NIC card on the computer from Private to Public.

If it is changed to Public you CAT or DAX will not be able to communicate with the radio. These are the first things you should check before uninstalling/reinstalling or deleting files.

This can also happen if you change from WiFi to Wired or if for some reason Windows believes you are connected to a new network.

Answers

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭

Ed,

I would start by renaming the %appdata%\Roaming\Flexradio systems\CAT.settings file and rebooting the PC., Start the radio, SmartSDR, and SmarrtSDR CAT, which should recreat a clean CAT.setting file ...

I doubt that SmartSDR CAT has any dependence on .NET version.

AL, K0VM

• Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭

Thanks for the suggestion, Al!

I tried it, but it did not fix the problem.

My next step was to uninstall FlexVSP and all versions of SmartSDR with the Windows uninstaller. I realize that everything Flex-related may not actually have been uninstalled, but I tried this approach anyway. I then reinstalled SmartSDR 2.7.6.

SmartCat took about 2 minutes to start running this time compared to maybe 5 minutes before. Again, I was unable to create COM or PTT ports but I could create TCP ports.

If you or anyone else has any additional suggestions, please pass them along. SmartSDR is functional for me (after a few minutes for SmartCAT to start up) but I would like to be able to install COM and PTT ports and otherwise get things working correctly.

Ed, K0KC

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭

Sort of fishing here...

Have you tried creating a COM **** out side of the range you normally use i.e. COM33 ??

Have you looked for hidden COM ports in the Windows device manager ?

After uninstalling FlexVSP, where there any Flex cat drivers or hidden COM ports remaining in device manager?

AL, K0VM

• Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭

I am not sure what happened, but I was out for a doctor's appointment and when I returned home, I saw that we had had a brief power outage. The computer was off and I believe the 6700 was also off. I fired-up the computer and the 6700 and SmartCAT started normally and I was able to make new COM and PTT ports just like old times!

I had restarted both the computer and the 6700 numerous times as I tried to troubleshoot this problem with no success. We shall see if everything is working ok otherwise today.

Thanks again for your help, Al!

Ed, K0KC

• Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭

Mike,

I just saw your suggestion. I have been "messing" a bit with my network lately...new switches and some CAT8 cabling...perhaps the power outage reset things back to normal.

By the way, I have been hearing you on 2 meter FT8 some mornings...pretty good for my garage attic stacked loops.

Ed, K0KC

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Thanks Ed

Normally, I remote from the house (FN03) to the Cottage (FN04). Since I am at the cottage for most of the summer, and now remote back to the house for 2M work. Since it is the house, it does not have the same amount of automation of the main remote.

This is what it looks like. It allows me to watch FT8, MSK144 and then if I want to do SSB, I SmartLink back to the 6600M with SmartSDR (either the PC version or the MAC version). This is one of the key advantages of having a PC running local to the radio for digital modes as there is no packet loss/corruption since it is all on a local network.

My 2M station is not as quiet as the remote on 6M. But, it is still a blast to have that option.

• Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭

Mike,

Nice to have the flexibility to work from either location. I am jealous of your low noise setup at your cottage...I have some intermittent noise here that I have never been able to track down. Between the noise and the "compromise" antennas, my range is somewhat limited on 2 meters but I have made some contacts to the Toronto area using FT8. The distance as the crow flies is approximately 300 miles or about 500 Km.

Ed, K0KC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.