Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows Update Strikes Again!

My Windows 10 updated today with patch KB5004237 for Version 21H1, and I am now unable to transmit any audio through my 6700. I generally use PC Audio for SSB, and DAX for FT-8. In both instances, the radio keys up, but there is no modulation. The Level meter bounces around when I speak into the mic, but there is no RF output, and I can hear nothing with the monitor on. All DAX and CAT settings appear unchanged from what they were previously. The mic works on other programs, such a Skype, but somehow the audio connection to SSDR v.3.2.39 has been lost. I've had this occur before, but the usual re-start, re-boot business has always fixed it. I've tried all of that without success. Anyone else had the same problem? A solution???

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

If you have confirmed you are not transmitting out of the XVTR port you will need to reset the radio database.

Save your profiles first.

A screenshot of SmartSDR helps with diagnosing these issues.

Sorry this happened, 73

Answers

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

I’m not the windows expert, but is the mike still the default sound device?

• Mark K0JM
    Mark K0JM Member ✭✭

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the mic is default.

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

If the Flex level meter is bouncing when you speak, then audio is getting to the radio.. (its likely not a windows problem.) Do you RF when TUNE is activated ?

AL, K0VM

• Mark K0JM
    Mark K0JM Member ✭✭

Yes, I get RF out in TUNE. No other modulation out, however, using Mic or DAX, and no audio heard in MONitor. The Level meter is what has me most perplexed, because it indicates, as you say, that audio is getting there. MOX keys the radio, though there is no RF out. VOX does not respond.

I tried using the rig with a different computer and it works fine, so Windows is the culprit. I just can't figure out what is not triggering.

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭

If the radio runs normal on a different computer, that should rule out the need for a factory reset of the radi but still something that you could try. You might try renaming the %appdata%\roaming\flexradio systems\SSDR.settings file and see if that clears anything. There is a small set of setup items that are unique to the client(PC).

I really doubt that it is Windows.

AL, K0VM

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭

Uninstall the Windows update (KB5004237) and see what happens. I have this update installed with no issues. I would be surprised if that fixes it but who knows ?

• Mark K0JM
    Mark K0JM Member ✭✭

Full reset of the radio fixed this. I'm still not sure why one computer worked and the other didn't, but I'm back in business. And I do use a transverter, but I was having the same issue whether on HF or VHF/UHF, so that was not the issue. Thanks to all for your input.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Mark

This seems like a bug that we need to narrow down. There is some sort of 'condition' that causes this to happen from time to time (very very infrequent). I've seen it twice in 6 months.

Glad you got it resolved.

• Mark K0JM
    Mark K0JM Member ✭✭

Yes, I get RF out in TUNE. No other modulation out, however, using Mic or DAX, and no audio heard in MONitor. The Level meter is what has me most perplexed, because it indicates, as you say, that audio is getting there. MOX keys the radio, but no RF out. VOX does not respond at all.

I tried using the rig with a different computer and it works fine, so Windows is the culprit. I just can't figure out what is not triggering.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.