Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Adding 4o3a Antenna Genius and Station Genius

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Just before Christmas the 4o3a Antenna Genius 8x2 Antenna Switches arrived. 

The 4o3a Station Genius has been here for a couple months, but had been waiting on the version 2.0 software/firmware upgrade, which seems to still be a bit down the road.

Working through the logistics of swapping out an Array Solutions RatPAK 6N and installing the first o the 4o3a Antenna Genius switches.  As my tower has a remote switch box at its base, the only issue outstanding is physically fitting the larger 4o3a unit in the cabinet.

It is now "Perfect Antenna Work Weather" as the first winter storm is closing in tomorrow.  Murphy does write project schedules too, it seems!

More at the blog as the install progresses.

Expecting great things from FRS and 4o3a down the road in terms of seamlessly integrating products, so very pleased to get the first gear up and going.

Steve K9ZW

BLOG:  With Varying Frequency  http://k9zw.wordpress.com  

Comments

• Glenn Johnson
    Glenn Johnson Member
    edited March 2016
    The AntennaGenius arrived last week and got it set up and working...right out of the box!   I have the AG control panel "stays on top" under the SmartSDR radio controls on the right.   It seems too easy to be true.....just a LAN cable to the router and radio & AG talk!   Way too cool!!!!!!   (I have a couple pictures on my QRZ.com page.)

Glenn W0GJ

• Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Nice station Glenn. Do you have the ant 1 and ant 2 on the radio going to each amp and then on to input 1 or 2 of the antenna genius? Presumably the antenna per band choice is set up in the antenna genius software? And then when you select a band on the radio in ssdr the antenna genius selects the chosen antenna for that band? I presume that your receive antennas go direct to rxA and rxB on the radio. I have a buyer lined up for my 6500 and am planning on a further upgrade to 6700 in the near future - rather than wait for the so2r plug in box. Is it possible to manually override the auto selection and manually select another antenna for a band? 73 Steve gw0gei
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Very glad to see the 4o3a officially a team member of the FRS family of products.

Just updated an Antenna Genius to v2.0.1 software and does it play well with my 6700!!

Very slick!

Steve

K9ZW

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve. Are you mounting the 4O3A at the tower to make it double as a remote antenna switch? I hadn't thought about doing that. It makes the price of the 4O3A even more reasonable. My 4-port Ameritron remote switch was about $300 all by itself. Hmmmmm. 2 coax runs and a CAT5 to switch 8 antennas and give SO2R isolation at the same time...... Not bad.
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I like the idea of remote transmit/receive modules which mount near the antenna feed-point and connect to the Flex 7700 Mothership via fiber runs. 
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @Ken Yes, Ranko says you can mount it at the tower so long as you put it in a NEMA weatherproof enclosure to protect the device.  You will need to put week holes in the bottom of the enclosure to allow condensation to drain.  I am planning to do this at my shack.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That just added value to the unit. I will be putting one on my "wish list" eventually. But it may be a bit of a wait....
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I am really rethinking how to configure the second QTH, considering placing not only the Antenna Genuis at the tower, but placing the amp and possibly radio there as well. Would run Ethernet fiber back to the house, and to the workshop. This will require a equipment shed at the tower, but as I need 240v and 115v there for the tower motors, perhaps I should remote everything possible to remote? Interesting possibilities previously not possible..... Hmmm..... 73 Steve K9ZW
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just ordered the 8x1 Antenna Genius
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    me too 5 min ago
  • Bill WW5M
    Bill WW5M Member ✭✭

What about grounding , hey guys wouldn't you want to hit lightening arrestors first? Hows it been working out for you on this. I have boxes with ICE lightening arrestors for my antennas. My AG -2 is located in my shop on the wall. My question is should I be ground the antenna switch?

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

I have the Tuner Genius, going to the Antenna genius, then the Coax cables go outside through the wall to the Morgan Lightning arrestors then to the induvial antenna's. Of course the Lightning Arrestors are grounded very well in the Ground panel and to the station ground and they bleed off Static DC in the Morgan arrestors before that even gets to the Antenna Genius. (The Morgan arrestors are the exact same devices as the ICE units just different label)

When you shut down SmartSDR it causes the Antenna Genius to shut all Antenna port running through it off and grounds them with no other action required by the user UNLES you are running the Antenna Genius in Manual mode of course.

WORKS WONDERFUL

Pretty expensive to do a Station correctly BUT so are the expensive Radio's and equipment your wanting to protect so it is worth it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.