Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Distorted Audio on SSDRforMac, only When using FT8 and SmarkLink

Bill
Bill Member ✭✭

I am a longtime user of SSDRforMac, usually at my home QTH within the LAN.

When I access either my 6300 or my 6400 via FT8 and SmartLink, I have a few brief moments of severely distorted audio and then it stops transmission and reverts to Rx. See the screen shot of transmission, taken at the very beginning before it cuts out.

Receive works fine. and SSB appears to work fine with either rig on Tx or Rx.

Both rigs work fine when on my LAN.

Since it only occurs on SmartLink, I suspect issues with latency, but I am just speculating.

My setup: 2019 MacBook Pro 16", 32Gb RAM, MacOS 11.4, SSDRforMac ver 1.9.05 (115)

Flex 6300 and Flex 6400 ver 3.2.39

I would appreciate any help!

Bill

KK4C

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi Bill

I have seen the same thing, and I think it is in the MAC OS. You an try reducing your MTU values on the MAC Network card and see if it improves.

• Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭

Mike,

Thank you for your response.

I am not clear on just what you are suggesting. Don't know how to "reduce the MTU values on the MAC Network card" on my MacBook Pro. MTU doesn't appear in the Mac network settings.

Willing to try anything, just don't know how.

Look forward to trying something....

Bill

KK4C

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi Bill

On BigSur it is under the Network, select the Network device you are using, Advanced and then the hardware tab.

If you are using some other different version, you will have to google for it.

• Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭

Thanks again for taking the time to answer, Mike.

I tried as you suggest (I am running Big Sur) and lowered the MTUs as far as was allowed. It did not make any difference. I am able to use boot camp, go to SSDR for Windows, and operate there. I also find that Remote High Radio's application works fine. They seem to have solved the latency issues with Flex radio across their entire inventory now.

Still don't understand it, but SSDR for Mac is unusable at this location. I suspect that latency is the culprit, but only a speculation.

Thanks again for pitching in.

73s

Bill. KK4C