Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote Irony

Options
KD0RC
KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Oh the irony of it all... I spend all that time and effort so that I can operate my home station remotely, then immediately after I get it all working, I pack it all up and take the whole station on the road for field day...

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

LoL. Going to be doing it this weekend too. The PG XL will stay behind.

We’ll be 3F as K2P. Two 6600s and a (ughh) 7300 Icom.

why Ughh for the Icom? TX phase noise

Dave wo2x

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭
    Options

That’s why there is a KX3 and don’t forget to work a few Satellites for points.

Ian

• KD0RC
    Options

Well, the 6600s will play nice together. My buddy and I had a pair of 6400s in close proximity last year and it was amazing. We could operate on the same band if one was on CW and one on phone. Never heard a peep out of each other if we were on different bands.

I am bringing my KPA500, but if I can get away with it, I will leave it off. I added a second 100 W solar panel to my camper this year, so I may be able to operate without the generator if I don't run the amp.

Have fun, and with any luck, the 7300 won't get in the way too much...

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

KX3 is a nice QRP radio. I got to play with one and has a nice “feel” but after using Flex ecosystem it is hard to change.

Dave wo2x

• halmassey
    halmassey Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Len, I see we are neighbors .I often enjoy your posts. I'm in Fort Collins. Are you roof space limited on your RV? Because 405 Watt panels are getting pretty routine now.

-Hal

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Hal, I am west of Ft Collins near Walden for Field Day.

If I were to do it again, I would get bigger panels. 100 W was the optimal price/performance point for me when I started.

With 200 W on the roof, I won't be running my amp from batteries, but the Flex 6400 at 100 W should work great.

• KD0RC
    Options

Well, now that I installed the second solar panel on my camper, we had the rainiest, cloudiest Field Day I have ever experienced... The generator got more of a workout than I was hoping for, but I still had a great time, and my Flexicraft station worked perfectly.

Last year, I couldn't use my TeensyMaestro at Field Day because I didn't realize that I had no DHCP service (obvious when you think about it, but at the time...). I fixed that little oversight and it worked great this year.

The Flex makes a really great FD rig, even in the crowded confines of my camper. On CW, I didn't mess with the amplifier, 100 W worked fine. On SSB, I used the amp extensively, and even managed Slovenia and Italy on 20 with my 30 ft high inverted V.

I even left one square foot of space on my dinette table for eating meals...

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    Options

Nice ! What's the white box on the far right?

Bob, WK2Y

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

That is his Teensy Maestro. See this discussion for more detail.

73 Dave wo2x

• KD0RC
    Options

Thanks Bob. Yep, as Dave said, that is the TeensyMaestro. It is more than a FlexControl but less than a Maestro. I recently found a solution to allow it to connect remotely using VPN, so now I can take it, a laptop and my cell phone anywhere with cell coverage and operate my station.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.