Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

"SmartSDR for windows has lost connection please reconnect".

Lee
Lee Member ✭✭
edited June 2021 in SmartSDR for Windows

I have been getting the following about 2 or 3 times a day.

"SmartSDR for windows has lost connection please reconnect".

Any ideas? I usually have to reboot my flex 6600 and my computer

to get everything back up and running. Thanks for your time.

Answers

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭

Lost connection means - your LAN connection is not the best or WIFI. How is your Flex wit PC connected?

Chris

• fpmacko
    fpmacko Member ✭✭
    I have something similar going on although not as frequently. It's gone from daily to maybe 1-2 times per week. (It improved when I replaced the radio's SD card.) But in my case I haven't had to reboot anything and I'm running on a hardwired LAN. I've also had a couple of cases in which my Zoom conference was interrupted for about 15 seconds. So I'm suspecting the ethernet port in the PC. So for now I've moved SSDR to another PC to see if the fault stays with the radio or the PC's port.

73 Frank / WA3NHK
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@Lee

The connection is exactly what it means and somehow the connection is fractured between the radio and the client.

Here are all the places it can fail in order from Client to Radio:

• The client software
    • Computer NIC card drivers
    • Physical NIC card on the computer
    • LAN Cable
    • Network Switch
    • (Wifi if involved) - this is the weakest link and the first place to look
    • Another LAN cable
    • NIC card on Radio
    • Radio software

The quick test is the link.local test where you do the following:

• Turn off the PC
    • Turn off the Radio
    • Connnect a LAN between Radio and the PC
    • Turn both on
    • Connect to the radio and see if still fails.

If it fails, then the problem is the radio or the PC.

If it doesn't fail then the issue is with the actual network.

I hope that helps a bit.

• Lee
    Lee Member ✭✭

Thank you

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭

..... i hate Power Pole :-)

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

I had this intermittently, usually at night while not operating. Ended up being the McAfee virus scan was running on a schedule. Stopped the scan and stopped the error.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@John KB4DU Personally, I think that all AV stuff is evil. :) I don't even have it installed.

Systems scans require that every file is opened, examined and closed and that takes a LOT of CPU and Disk time, especially if you have a Disk that might be older and partially failing (even SSD).

Generally, if you think of how AV works, you can easily see the impact it can have even during the day (non scheduled scan). You want to open a file for editing. The AV 'spy driver' grabs it first and checks to make sure it is ok and then lets you open it (in fact, it is opened twice and that takes CPU time and power).

It is like this. You get a letter in the mail. Before you can read it, your Mom has to open it first and make sure it is safe. Then reseal it and hand it to you. LOL

The same is true for Firewalls that do deep packet inspection on your network communications. As they say, there is no free lunch.

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

I had exactly that happening, spontaneous disconnects, until I changed the Ethernet switching was going through. Either the switch itself or some of its cabling was at fault.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.