Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New 6400M - 2 questions

After a day operating, I have two 'issues' that I would be grateful for help with.

1 When in SmartControl and tuning a band with the radio VFO knob, although the frequency changes smoothly as seen on the radio, in SmartSDR it is 'jumpy', not smooth. I am on 10Hz tuning step though the step size doesn't matter. It seems the display has a fractional lag.

2 When Txing FT8 I am perfectly decoded, but if I monitor my signal I hear ususally two scratchy sounds during a 15 second transmission. There is also a coincidental momentary jump on the panorama display. It is some kind of artifact. I cannot cure it.

The radio is connected to the computer (which a fast one Ryzen 5800X, 16GB RAM, high end graphics) by ethernet cable.

Anyone any ideas please? Thank you de Erik EI4KF.

Best Answers

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Eric

It sounds like a loose connection, but its all digital with Dax, so I dont worry about it too much.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The problem with making several changes at once and then finding that a problem has gone is not knowing what it was exactly that cured it. I did not have the problem at all yesterday and again not today. So I undid all changes, mostly regarding improving latency in the computer which I see now did not help. However, in my case, what effected the improvement was making a change in the FT8 software moving Split Operation from None to Fake It. When I returned to None, immediately the issue came back. I could see it in the panorama, hear scratchy artifacts twice per 15 second TX in the headphones and, on another radio, I heard two brief clicks. Put that setting back to Fake It and none of observations are present. I don't know why but it's good that its gone - hopefully permanently but time will tell.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

That would be a good test, or listen to the flex on a websdr radio. The monitor function doesn’t use the output of the transmitter. Also, it is possible to set up a receive only antenna to the rx port and use full duplex mode. There is more on this in the manual.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

Don't forget, you don't need a WebSDR to listen to yourself. You have multiple receivers in your Flex radio to listen to yourself.

Full Duplex (FDX) is a very powerful tool that your FlexRadio has. Something that no other radio has.

Answers

• Erik Carling EI4KF

No 1 is solved. It was caused by using AutoCenter 3rd party software. Turn that off and everything is silky smooth.

So its the scratchy noise that occurs sporadically during FT8 transmission that I need help with if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks, Erik.

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭

I occasionally get the scratchy sound on monitoring my Ft8 transmissions too. Dont know what is causing it.

• Erik Carling EI4KF

Hi Wayne. I thought it was a constant problem, having just acquired the radio and faced with it immediately. Actually it is as you state, occasional. I am not going to worry about it too much.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

What version of Firmware are you running

most of the Older versions had issues with DAX getting statically after a few hours and just a DAX restart fixed it.

if it is not DAX then you can try shutting down the radio and remove the DC power it off for a couple minutes then power it back on

if that doesn’t work then last but not least do a hard reset on the radio

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭

Im running the latest 3.2.39, but havent noticed it yet.

Its always been intermittent

• Erik Carling EI4KF

I am on the same of course as its a new radio. I must say I haven't noticed it today.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

How. are you monitoring the transmit signal?

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭

Just with monitor turned on and through the speakers. Probably should try turning one of the other transceivers on and try that

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.