Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

recommended noise reduction device

Options
2»

Answers

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    Options

WBN is at the top of my wish list, or something if not WBN. WBN works here sometimes with a bit of fiddling around with AGC-T. Sometimes meaning, not very often.

It seems like the "right kind of noise" implies a very narrowly designed solution to the noise problem with only a few effective target scenarios.

WBN is something I now rarely engage.

• James Del Principe
    Options

John, better ask the Army to change the noise. Doesn't work for my frying sound either.

• James Del Principe
    Options

Mike, I clicked on your links for the noise (QRM) eliminator above. I bought a $ 4,300 radio and then have to get a $ 20.00 made in China noise eliminator? Really? No disrespect but shouldn't our radios outperform some aftermarket device?

I have tried the suggested settings for the 8 ch equalizer which helps a little. The WNB still does nothing at any setting (yes, it turns on when selected). The NR just makes the signal muddy as if it only cuts all the highs.

Good thing I love the display and the filters. They are outstanding. (BTW, AM on the Flex sounds amazing from signal reports. It will NOT overmodulate) Thanks for your patience. Jim

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@James Del Principe

The key to RF noise reduction is to get rid of it before the antenna port as that is the point the RF signal we are trying to receive is already corrupted. We need to eliminate that corruption. This should be a priority.

Doing it after the antenna port means you are removing some of the signal that is part of the signal you want to hear. Is this what we really want?

I can honestly say that about 80% of the noise we hear is on our own property. Not all, but a lot. Enough to make a huge operational difference. I came up with this number from members of our own contest club that all had a hard look at their own how. Just about ever switching power supply in a house (mostly chargers) are the enemy. There is just myself and my wife in my house and I found 12 bad wall chargers, 1 CISCO 100mb POE commercial switch, one bad LED light bulb and 18 LED small decorative LED bulbs used to light the kitchen counter. That took my 80m noise from a very solid S9 to S6.

I found most of these by walking around the house with my Yaesu VX7R on some frequency (I can't remember now) in AM mode. It might have been 30Mhz or so (if it goes that low). You would be surprised what you find. Just hope it isn't the Refridgerator (as was the problem with a friend of mine). When he unplugged the fridge, the noise on 80M went from 10db over S9 to S5. That was an expensive fix for him as he not only had to find a new one but he also had to convince the XYL to buy a new one. That came out of his hobby budget.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mike - Question

In your experience, where were the offending wall warts and refrigerator in relationship to their "entry point" for noise into your Flex Radio?

In other words, what is a "typical" range of the RF being emitted from the Wall Wart?

Is the most sensitive entry point into our Flex Radios at the Antenna, the feed line or at the Radio or all of the above equally?

Alan. WA9WUD

• halmassey
    halmassey Member ✭✭
    Options
    There is no one answer to wall wart range. Here's why. There is radiated and conducted emissions. The radiated emissions are usually pretty short. They are the side effects of the design. The conducted emissions are coming out of the wall wart via the AC power line. Those can traverse all over the house (and beyond in rare cases).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.