Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

recommended noise reduction device

Hello , I have a 6600M with a noise problem . I just purchased a yaesu ft10 and that radio is much quieter than my flex , so I want to do something about it . any ideas (have already went through house with breakers off running rig on battery ) thanks John kb2huk

Answers

• Jim K4JAFJim K4JAF Member ✭✭

What criteria are you using to compare the noise level of the 2 radios? IE, same preamps or lack of, AGC vs AGCT, filters, etc.

Also what is an FT10? Perhaps you mean the FT101? Jim K4JAF

• Mike VE3CKOMike VE3CKO Member ✭✭

The FTDX10 is new trimmed down version of FTDX101, a single VFO.

• KF4HRKF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited January 14

I use a Timewave ANC-4 Antenna Noise Canceler which I have connected through the RxA In/Out ports, and activated via the LOOPA button (under the ANT menu). It has been helpful for reducing local noise, and typically drops noise by approximately 2 S-units.

• WX7YWX7Y Member ✭✭✭

The Timewave ANC-4 Antenna Noise Canceler is great unless you have a 6600 or 6400 which they left off the LOOP ports which was a big mistake in my opinion UNLESS I missing something, couldn't have been that there wasn't enough space on the back panel on such a huge case.

I use the ports for the Filters and a Daisy chained Receiver overload devices which if your in close proximity like a multi radio contest or a near by neighbor running a lot of Power is a necessity to protect your receiver over and above what the Radio provides.

I have both the 6700 and 6600 and sure would be nice to have had the LOOP through's on the 6600 like the 6700 has.

• BG5ILXBG5ILX Member, Unconfirmed
    FLEX has a very high noise floor, and I still like traditional machines
  • Brent61Brent61 Member
    KF4HR Could you post more information or even a picture of how you put the ANC-4 into the antenna loop. I read on the Timewave site that you should turn off the ANC-4 when you tune your antenna. Do you do this with having it in the loop? I have a 6500 and I think the ANC-4 will help me out a lot.

Thanks
  • KF4HRKF4HR Member ✭✭

Hi Brent61. There's not much to it. You'll need two PL-259 (male) to BNC (male) coax jumpers. Here's what I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D1BJM22/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One Jumper goes from the "Rx Ant A In" BNC Connector on your Flex, to the ANC-4 "RADIO" Connector (J2)

The other jumper from "Rx Ant A Out" BNC Connector on your Flex, to the ANC-4 "MAIN ANTENNA" Connector (J3)

After you adjust the ANC-4 for minimal noise, leave the ANC-4 Power On. To activate (or by-pass) the ANC-4, click on the LoopA button on the SmartSDR screen. The LoopA button is found under the ANT Menu on the side of the SmartSDR screen.

Hope this helps.

KF4HR

• KF4HRKF4HR Member ✭✭

Brent61 - One other comment I forgot to mention. Much of the performance of the ANC-4 will depend the Noise Antenna you use. I found the short Noise Antenna that comes with the ANC-4 not very useful. My suggestion is to experiment with different lengths of wire (ideally wire lengths that are non-resonate on the ham bands) for your Noise Antenna to maximize the ANC-4's performance. The idea being, you want your Noise Antenna to maximize capture of noise, while minimizing the amplitude of wanted signals.

GL

KF4HR

• KD0RCKD0RC Broomfield, COMember ✭✭✭

What I do with my ANC-4 is loop the noise antenna around the known noise producers in my shack. Lets me get a really good null on them. I still need to do something about some noise from my neighbor's house. I think I will put a short dipole along my fence to see how that works. I originally put a long wire out, but it was on my deck in parallel with my G5RV, and it picked up too much desired sig and not enough noise. Always a work in progress...

I do not have loop connectors on my 6400, so the output of my 6400 goes straight to the ANC-4. The antenna side of the ANC-4 then goes to the input of my amp. That way I never put more than 100 watts into it (it is designed to tale up to 250 W).

Len, KD0RC

• KF4HRKF4HR Member ✭✭

Len - I've been noticing that different Noise Antennas seem to work better on some bands than others. Something I may do is try using several different types (and lengths) of noise antennas, connect them to a remote RF switch so so I can remotely select between different Noise Antennas as needed.

I'm not familiar with the 6400 but that's interesting the 6400 doesn't have loop connectors. As you probably know the ANC-4 has a -6db insertion loss. This becomes apparent when connected to my Rx A Loop, but thankfully, in most cases, the advantage of reducing noise outweighs the ANC-4's insertion loss.

I've never run RF power through my ANC-4. Just curious, when you run RF through the ANC-4 are you having to contend with the -6db insertion loss when transmitting (reduced power output through your ANC-4?), or does the ANC-4 go into bypass when you transmit?

KF4HR

• KD0RCKD0RC Broomfield, COMember ✭✭✭

The ANC-4 does go into bypass on transmit. The 6 dB loss almost kept me from buying one until I realized that it was actually an advantage. On no bands, 160 - 6 do I ever use 32 dB of RF gain. On the lower bands, I run -8 dB and need more attenuation so the additional 6 dB is welcome. Sensitivity with these radios is certainly not the problem. In a noisy environment (including atmospherics), the issue is getting enough attenuation.

An antenna switch for the noise antennas is a great idea. You can even parallel them without degrading performance, but you can wind up with the situation where nulling one noise source peaks another. As long as the noise peaks are not at the same frequency, this is not really a problem, it just means fiddling with the phasing control more.

Len

• Some good information from W8JI on several noise cancellers, including the ANC-4 and MFJ1026 (he designed the MFJ1025/1026 and DXE NCC-1):

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Topband/2013-11/msg00249.html

https://www.w8ji.com/mfj-1025_1026.htm

I have the DXE NCC-2, which is the follow-on to the NCC-1 and adds internal TR switching. It works very well in attenuating locally generated noise. The NCC-2 manual contains good information on antenna configuration:

https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/dxe-ncc-2_jh.pdf

Howard

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.