Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I UNINSTALL SmartLink?

Options

I have a backup VPN that would work for me but SmartLink seems to have hijacked everything. I would like to uninstall it from my Maestro to get back on the air again but under the current conditions I can't find a way to do that.

Is it even possible?

Fred, K9SO

Comments

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    Options

i was about to ask a similar question an hour ago :

1 user was online , thinking he was using VPN

Another user, after upgrading had to re.enter his credentials, and after 3 attempts..locked the smartlinked out.

This seemingly killed the session of the second user..and probably i was not even able to connect LOCALLY

So, can it be that SSDR tries smartlink first ? And only if it fails , tries a direct link inside the network ?

Can it be that local network connection fails , when smartlink account is locked out ?

Harry

DL9NDW

Fred, you can unlink your Flex from smartlink , never did, but i read about that...youi will need it when you sell the radio anyway..

• K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    Options

Apparently, SmartLink resides on the radio and not on SmartSDR.

There is a procedure to unregister a radio here: https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020078612-How-to-Completely-Reset-a-FLEX-6000

... but in order to complete, it requires a LOCAL hardware PTT ... something I cannot do from 800 miles away.

I'm looking for workarounds to get my Maestro back on line via my VPN, but it seems I'm blocked every step of the way by some button or another that needs to be pushed locally.😋

I'm done with SmartLink and I never want to use it again, but there does not seem to be a way to fix things remotely until Flex fixes the Maestro software (in two more weeks).

Fred, K9SO

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unregistering the Radio won't do a thing for letting a VPN work or not, If you get the VPN working right the Maestro will think it is on the same Network as the Radio and NOT require SmartLink at that point, the only real way with out SmartLink is to have a Level 2 VPN for the maestro and Radio to see each other through.

You are creating yourself more work if you manage to unregister the radio!

There have been a LOT of info on the community here on how to do the VPN solution using SoftEther VPN and other VPN's you might have to go back about 10 days and go forward to find it.

• K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Brett,

My VPN remote connections were working fine before SmartLink was installed on the radio. I know what's involved and I had used it to remote my radios for years. I regret installing SmartLink now as it took over everything. I'm really not sure why I did to be honest.

What I don't know is how to get rid of it without someone physically standing in front of the radio to push a button. I have to do that before the VPN will work again.

Fred, K9SO

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

SmartLink is a solution within SmartSDR and it isn't something you can remove.

As was said earlier, if you don't require it, do not register the radio to SmartLink. If the radio is not registered it will only function on your local LAN.

Fred, if you are concerned, just make sure there are no SmartLink ports opened on your firewall. No ports, no communication in bound.

For others reading this, for years we have always recommended for users who are a LONG way away from their radio that it is good practice to have a local PC on the network to communicate with the radio and do any internal network work or some other solution.

The reason we have a local PTT (or CW key) function/physcial access is two fold. 1 to make sure you own the radio when registering it to SmartLink and the 2nd reason is so that someone who may have access to your credentials unregisters your radio. You need the same security step. This is why that step is there.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.