Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

200 watt capable radio

AB8WD
AB8WD Member ✭✭
In the radio market no one is producing a 200 watt radio this would put you in a class of your own everybody has 100 watt radios today and some hams need the little extra with a built in ATU THANKS.
Tagged:
1 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Well, double the power (100 watts to 200 watts) is a 3dB increase, only 1/2 S unit at 6dB per S unit. So from S7 to S7 and 1/2. Not really as much increase as it sounds like. From 100 watts to 1000 watts (10dB) is less than 2 S units increase.

• AB8WD
    AB8WD Member ✭✭
    Based on that and Tim's presentation the cleanest and loudest gets noticed so 1/2 db may make a difference without the 1500 watt @7000.00 Thanks
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Doesn't Yaesu produce a 200W unit -- the FDX101-MP?

And, as John pointed out, the extra power doesn't really translate to increased contacts/readability in tough conditions. I find the DX+ compressor cuts me through pileups quite well. (Plus a bit of patience and persistence :-))

• Dave KC9EI
    Dave KC9EI Member ✭✭

Don't forget about Flexs' inclusion of Controlled Envelope SSB! It is one of the lessor known and touted feature of Flex radios now.

It is the CE-SSB speech processor feature that can produce nearly 3dB of effective gain. I think it is actually closer to 2.8. Check it out.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
  • Chuckers5
    Chuckers5 Member ✭✭
    After reading the QEX CESSB piece, I would like to know if CESSB is always enabled or is it a selectable function on my Flex 6500. Any feedback on that question is welcomed. I could RTFM but I imagine it is buried in the details.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Yes, it is in the manual. :) Would you like me to look it up?

• Mike, is this the 3 settings of compression, normal, DX and DX+ ? Or is there some other setting? If so, is it on by default or must this be selected? Many thanks, Jim

• Mike-VA3MW
  • Thanks, Mike. I understand perfectly now. My AM ragchew group reports it sounds best for that mode of operation with the compressor on but set to Normal. Makes sense. 73, Jim

• Chris
    Chris Member ✭✭

most every time anyone mentions 200W capable rig, the responses are "the extra power doesn't really translate to increased contacts/readability in tough conditions".

while it is a true statement regarding ordinary operating modes like Phone, CW, and RTTY, it is not an entirely true statement regarding digital modes - especially those modulations with a high crest factor. ALE and other digital modes offer increased range with only a couple more dB S/N and transmitting key-down time can be increased.

the Kenwood TS-480HX was the EMCOMM 'go to' rig because of the 200W capable PA: endurance, headroom.

= 73 = KB3CS

• Cirrus Secure
    Cirrus Secure Member ✭✭
    Beginning of QEX CESSB series:
    http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/2014/Nov-Dec_2014/Hershberger_QEX_11_14.pdf

"In my [first] Nov/Dec 2014 QEX article on controlled envelope single sideband (CESSB)"

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.