Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is the 6400m ever going to support mouse control?

Can it? Will it?

You would think plugging in a mouse to control the radio would be one of the first things done.

The new Xiegu GSOC supports mouse and keyboard and its not even done yet.

Answers

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

This might be something to submit as a 'New Idea' as I think that's where our suggestions for changes, etc. are best collected. I believe they are reviewed by Flex, but we may not hear whether they are considering them for a future release.

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭

Who Knows???? Flex recently seems to have forgotten their amateur market in terms of software development..

I guess they have abandoned amateur radio for the commercial market.... Please FLEX prove me wrong!

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

Do tablets ordinarily have mouse control?

• Brett
    Brett Member ✭✭

Yes, I think the surface pro does and other tablets support various input devices.

Other radios support mouse control, and touch screen.

• Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021

Being a stand-alone user of a 6400M (I do not operate my 6400M tied to a PC), my fingers are too large to set TNF on the touch screen. It would be nice if the M model radios had a USB mouse. This seams like it would be a simple add-on, for the 6400M is already running a MS Windows OS.

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

Disabling Bluetooth on the Maestro (or M) takes away a lot of nice potential features.

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021

• Spanky97
    Spanky97 Member ✭✭
    I use a stylus on my screen, the ones that have a rubber like head. it also works for my smart phone.
  • Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021

• Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021

• Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021

• Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021

• Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭

Connecting a USB mouse to the radio would be a very simple thing to add since the radio is already a MS Windows based OS., it would not take away any other functionality of the radio. If users want to plug in a mouse and use it, it would be there, if they chose not to use it, they don't have to. This would give users more flexibility on how they would decide to use the radio and would make the radio more appealing to a wider audience of users.

• aa3ssradio
    aa3ssradio Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021

Flex is antiquated when it comes to software features that some of the simplest radio’s have.

Yes I believe they have somewhat abandoned us amateurs for the commercial market. Takes them forever to come out with updates and new features

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@Thomas NE7X

Logistically, how much trouble would connecting a laptop or desktop to your 6400M be? It doesn't have to be connected to the internet. Unless updating or being operated remotely.

I run my 6400M in SmartControl Mode most often. The availability of a mouse in that configuration is really nice.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

While the tablet in the Maestro and the M models is Windows-based we wanted to make sure that are 100% focused on the key items for running the radio software. There is a finite amount of computing power available and a few other things including the time and effort in post sales support.

It is part of the KISS (keep it simple ****) model! :).

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

I think the issue is the fact that the front panel OS is Windows and the radio's OS is Linux. (unless that has changed) Unless the USB connection on the rear of the radio is directly connected to the front panel tablet, I see no easy way for the Linux OS to send USB mouse commands to the front panel. About the only way I do see it possible, is if there was a way to access the front panel's USB port and somehow connect directly to that. Then the Windows OS in the front panel could detect the mouse and load the correct drivers for it. (unless they are missing from the front panel's OS)

Just a few thoughts.

James

WD5GWY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.