Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Multiflex/SmarkSDR/Smartlink

Howie149
Howie149 Member ✭✭
edited May 2021 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm new to the Flexradio. Just got a preowned 6600, but confused about all the software. Trying to set up so that the windows 10 computer next to the rig both display the waterfall and pana but they also both control the radio (rigs knobs and computer mouse). Mirror operation is what I might call it. So far though doesn't seem an option. Windows 10, newest updates on the rig, SDR suite up to date, rig connected to LAN.

Here is how it seems to me:
1) If you use multiflex the rig and the computer both tune separate slices. They can't be made to mirror each other. No mirror.
2) SmartLink is made for long distance remote operation. Would this make sense to use when the computer and the rig are next to each other?
3) Smart SDR doesn't seem like I can configure it to do this.

Is what I want to do possible? How?

Oh and btw, the manuals need a good edit.

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@Howie149

There is no Mirror operation build into SmartSDR. Can you give me a use case on your interest in such a feature? Just curious.

MultiFlex is about having to 'clients' have unique and separate connections to the radio with a separate transmitter.

SmartLink is for remote (outside of your own network) operation. You don't need it if 'clients' are on the same network.

We have a bunch of videos that you can reference to they pretty much cover each feature available. That might help you out as well.

If you find areas of the manuals that require an edit, you are welcome to share what you have found so that we can get them entered into the tracking system.

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Mike,

My 'case' for a mirror function is to make the Flex simulate a conventional radio. By that I mean, muscle memory for 'tweaking' some settings with a knob on the M front panel or Maestro while at the same time enjoying the on-screen features of SmartSDR on that same slice.

Another way of thinking about it is to be able to use my Maestro as a omnipotent Flex Control while still using SmartSDR as the main client.

Initial buzz surrounding Multiflex seemed to point to this, but, alas, it still has not happened.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Another good use case is club operation. If the club trustee (whose license is on the line...) could remotely see the radio in operation, corrective action could be taken before a club member breaks too many rules. It would also facilitate training members on club station use without being in the same room together.

• Howie149
    Howie149 Member ✭✭
    I think Len is spot on for the use case. I'm a little surprised that the functionality is more geared to multiple stations and theoretical users than a single user with the rig and computer nearby. To put a finer point on it, I like using the monitor, the knobs and the rig screen. Don't always want to look back and forth to do whatever task I'm doing. Imagine for example, using Ham Radio Deluxe with an Icom 7300... You move one the other moves and sometimes you use the HRD and others you use the Radio. Ironically in the effort to be flexible Flex gave up the easiest use case.

And as far as the edits go, there are a bunch of random pages throughout the Flex 6400M/6600M User Guide version 3.1.7 edited 16 September 2019. Might be corrupted after a lot of version changes. Happens to me with large documents and Word. See e.g. pages: 24, 29, and 33 for example.
  • Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭

I am also disappointed in the implementation of Multiflex. No other SDR manufacturer with a knobs and buttons radio have their hardware so disassociated from the software. What you do physically with the radio should reflect in the software and vice versa. Probably Multiflex should be taken out of the equation - simply the M radios should be co-operational with the software, same as Expert Electronics ExpertSDR2 s/w for example.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@KD0RC

Len,

Wasn't it discovered that someone remote could monitor the station with SmartControl?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.