Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro Screen Saver

ka7gzr
ka7gzr Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in Maestro

Will the Maestro display have issues with image persistence? I have been leaving my Maestro on many hours of the day. I have experienced image persistence problems with other LCD displays without screen savers.

Comments?

Best Answer

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    This has been filed as a User Request in the tracking system already.   I agree!
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited February 2017
    This is also known as ghosting, modern LCD's don't typically have this issue, IPS displays have never had this issue and up until now I didn't think about it. The response will be interesting. 
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I would like to have it simply turn off the screen after a user defined period to reduce heat and increase backlight LED life.
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

LCD do have what's called Image Persistence not to be confused with Screen Burn-In of CRTs. LCDs do recover eventually unlike CRTs but it can take some time. Both my Icom radios (ic-7300 and ic-7850) either turn the LCD screens off or go to a screen saver.

Jim

ka7gzr

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Agreed.  I have had a few IPS screens I own have an after-image if a strong color is held for too long.  It doesn't damage it long term, but it does tint the next color displayed.  This is most obvious on text that then goes to a solid background.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We are not aware of any potential issues related to burn-in with the Maestro IPS display.  Regardless, I have added this as a feature request in our bug tracker.
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    will the new 6400/6600M models have a screen saver mode; shut off screen after a certain amount of time unused?
    thanks
    Reggie k6xr

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited September 2017
    That feature is not in the current software
  • IZ1OQT
    IZ1OQT Member ✭✭

To date still nothing :(

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@IZ1OQT

I doubt that we will add a screensaver as there is no need. I have a Maestro A that has been on just about every day since they came out and there is no burn that I can see.

• IZ1OQT
    IZ1OQT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021

Thanks for the info

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Sort of a “nobody does that anymore” situation.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

You need them on OLED TVs!

Ed

KA9EES

• IZ1OQT
    IZ1OQT Member ✭✭

It would also have been interesting for an energy saving speech when on battery

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Screen savers also use CPU resources to monitor for user activity and the amount of CPU power on the Maestro is limited.

The Maestro tablet is seriously stripped down to reduce as many required resources as possible.

• IZ1OQT
    IZ1OQT Member ✭✭

You could put a programmable button to turn the display off and on in this way there would be further energy savings without using cpu

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.