Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tuning Sidetone

Hi

Another newbie question:

Is there a way to turn on the sidetone while tuning?

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

There is no sidetone while tuning. You would have to send a solid CW carrier or use a tone from something like WSJTx which has a tune function which sends a carrier on a single tone.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Cy, just curious... Why do you want a tone during tuning?

• Cy Stanway
    Cy Stanway Member ✭✭

Len, i think it is a holdover from my Drake TR-4 days. Somehow reassuring.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Ah, understood! Well, moving to an SDR rig like the Flex really makes you re-think some things that you have known your whole ham life. Tuning around the bands with a tuning knob is suddenly very tedious compared with seeing a signal and clicking on it. My first inclination was to reach for a knob when I first got my 6400, but now I can hardly operate a radio that does not have a panadapter!

Probably the biggest epiphany for me was the operation of the AGC-T control. If you try to use it like an RF gain control, you are not likely to get the most out of your rig. Follow the instructions published by Tim, W4TME and you can really quiet the noise without losing the signal. Took me a while on that one...

• Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭

Cy,

I usually leave the Break-in button off when I'm tuning to an existing signal (I think this may be what you mean). A quick tap on the key will let you match the signal to your sidetone, and you'll be zero-beated.

Of course, this gets me in trouble if I'm on a net and leave the break-in on <grin>.

But yes, a hot key that gives you a quick sidetone without transmitting anything would be a great addition to CW mode.

--jim KJ3P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.