Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Panadapter display stutters

For quite some time now my panadapter display seems to stutter, every second or so it appears to stall, pause. a few days ago during the CWOPS test, not only did the display have issues but when I transmitted, my cw signal appeared to stutter in the same fashion ...in the middle of a letter it would pause, for example...instead of a y -.--, it might sound like a t w - .--

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Tim, a few questions to help get aligned with your layout:

What radio and software version are you running?

Is the panadapter on a Maestro or M model or is it on a computer? If computer, what kind (Mac or Win) and speed, memory, etc?

How are you connected? (remote or local, ethernet cables or WiFi)

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@WA5YOM

Hi, can you let us know things:

Local or remote?

WiFi connections or LAN

Version of SmartSDR

Generally, if you see stuttering, it is related to network drop out or latency. At least, the is the first thing to isolate. Does it do it with a LAN cable directly connected to the radio (PC to Radio or Maestro to Radio). This eliminates the network as part of the test.

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021

Local operation, Windows 10, Wired network to a switch....latest SmartSDR Version 3 software...6700

I monitor the network, seems ok........seems to get worse the longer I leave it running.

• Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭

I'm Having the same issues with my 6600 , Dax is shuttering . I exit out of Dax and re enter all is good till the next time .. CW makes me sound like a novice . Had a winkeyUSB I was not using , put that inline and my CW is good again. CW or SSB receive bandwidth will not save in profiles . These are the 3 problems after installing V3.2 . That I never had with V3.1

Windows 10 pro , 8 core running at 3.9 Mhz , 16 Gig memory . using latest drivers .used only for the Flex radio. Flex 6600 connected to router using Cat 7 , no wifi anything .

I've not reverted back to V3.1 because V3.2 has not lost connection with my network since installing March 31 2021 ... V3.2 is the lesser problem . I think Flex is working on a patch for V3.2

Ed N5DG

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭

You may want to check what else is running that you may not be aware of. Check your Windows services, Scheduled Tasks and Windows Services. If you're like me and install and uninstall a lot of software to try then out, you may find a lot of things are running in the background. I use CCleaner to disable anything I don't need.

Bob, WK2Y

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021

• PA2TA
    PA2TA Member ✭✭

Had the same problems with my Flex-6600 running SSDR v 3.2.31, at first the panadapter started to stutter and in the weekend during contesting, the CW signal started stuttering as well.

Rebooting the 6600 solved the problem for the time being.

My 6600 is switched on 24/7 and this problem never occured with version 3.1.12

Tjakko PA2TA

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

I didn't see any services or tasks running that were out of the ordinary....

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

All

If DAX is stuttering, then you have a communication issue between the radio and the computer.

A good test is to connect the radio directly to the LAN connector on the PC and restart both devices. See if the stuttering continues.

It is really hard to debug LAN issues and while it is good enough to stream buffering video from a streaming source, the radio part can show a weakness in a LAN.

It can be the switch, a bad LAN cable (yes, I have had many), or outdated drivers on your NIC card on your PC. I just checked the drivers on one of laptops and it was dated 2012 and I had to update it to 2020. 8 years old.

Try the LAN cable test please.

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

I replaced Network Cables, will see what happens...it is an intermittent problem.

• Mike-VA3MW

@WA5YOM You will also need to do the direction Radio connection test to eliminate any part of your network as the issue. Some switches handle streaming data differently than others.

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

Cables did not fix, network stats Excellent...Had to reboot radio and computer to fix...

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

Will try direct connect next.....

• Mike-VA3MW

Thanks @WA5YOM .. it is a process of elimination.

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

I connected direct to the radio......

I was gone most of the day....when I checked the radio a few minutes ago...no stuttering....I will check again in the morning...

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

It appears to not stutter when connected directly.....so, now what?

• Mike-VA3MW

@WA5YOM

That is a good data point. So, how, you need to look into your Switch or something else in your environment. I would try another switch.

Case in point, I had a bad LONG CAT5 cable that I wrote up about a few weeks ago. I could not tell that the CAT cable was bad and that it was actually dragging down the switch so much so it affected other LAN communications.

What you might try it to unplug everything else from the network and only have the radio and client connected. Then, start adding back LAN cables and see if the problem shows up.

Others like @David Decoons, wo2x might have some other ideas.

Let us know what you find.

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

So, orior to the direct connect test, I replaced the computer and Flex CAT 6 cable to switch......I will reconnect them to the switch and disconnect everything else and add one device back to the switch one at a time and see what happens...

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021

It is doing it with just the computer, flex and internet connected to the switch

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

What brand and model is your switch and internet router?

Sounds like you isolated a bit now

It's probably the Router that has the job of handing out DHCP IP address's and connecting you to the internet.

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

Still having problem....

Have Netgear C7800 cable modem router.....with port connected to Netgear managed switch GS108T, all hamshack devices are connected to the managed switch......including the computer...

• Mike-VA3MW

@WA5YOM

I don't have a good answer other than not all switches are created equal. My guess is it is the communications through the switch is somewhat laggy or buffering for some reason.

Could it be some other LAN connection that is cause the Switch to flap?

Since it is a managed switch, can you read any of the logs? Do you have a different switch you can try?

You did confirm the issue is not there when you don't use the switch. Maybe try something simpler. I have been using TP-Link SG-1016D's personally without issue. Given how much we invest in radio equipment the cost of a switch is pretty insignificant.

Others may have switches they are having good success with.

Let us know.

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

Well....The switch is connected to a 4o3a 8x2 antenna switch, PGXL, Computer, Flex 6700 and Web Power Switch...All have new network cables, CAT 6 cables....except for the 4o3a and pgxl which have CAT 5 cable.

The switch does not show errors or dropped connections.

The problem is intermittent.

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭

Maybe its the latest windows 10 update KB5001330.. I read it can cause stutters

https://au.pcmag.com/operating-systems/86745/windows-10-april-update-is-causing-games-to-randomly-stutter

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.