Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR with CAT+ DAX + FLDigi Video By VA3MW

Mike,

Was not sure how else to get hold of you, question I have is about rig control. I have watched lots of other Flex SmartSDR integration vids on Youtube that Integrate with FLDigi. All of the other ones seem to talk about the rig control being by RIGCAT, and using the published FlexRadio XML files for a particular slice. It all seems to be working here with that.

However, your video, you used HAMLIB and then selected Kenwood as the radio as the CAT commands are the same.

Is there, if any, advantage to the way you did the rig control - using the Hamlib and not Rigcat?

Or are you doing both?

Also, under HamLib, there is a radio selection Flex 6XXX Stable, so wonder why that might not be used? I know that what I have been using in WSJT-X, works good.

Am I missing something obvious here? Quite entirely possible :) (Newbi to digital modes other than FT8)

Thanks and 73

Mike - KM0T

PS - Keep up the good work!

0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• KM0T
    KM0T Member ✭✭

Just to keep relevent and up front, I was looking for an answer or comment from Mike- VA3MW if at all possible. And of course if anyone else actually knows. Thanks...

73 de KM0T

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2021

@KM0T

Here is what I just did and it works fine. (I'm sure I might have missed a few steps)

First, I installed FLRIG (available from their website). They now recommend that you use FLRIG for the radio interfacing. I am using version 4.1.08.51 of fldigi.

Next, I configured FLRIG for a TS-2000 and the same CAT port I set up in SmartSDR CAT. In my case, this is Com 5.

Also, in FLRIG, I set up PTT. This means we are going to send a PTT command via CAT

************** OR Alternate CAT Settings - use the LAN ***************************

Check your Audio settings

On your active slice , make sure you have DAX 1 for your audio output and DAX active on TX. (I was playing on 2M FT8, so that is why the VHF frequency).

And, for my TX Audio path

That should do it. If something doesn't work, let us know what and make sure you supply some screen shots.

• N4VGE
    N4VGE Member ✭✭

Mike,

Thank you for your screen shots. My screens are a bit different and I'm having trouble as a newbie translating the screens. My CAT screens look like:

I get no Log data and I am not sure I added the PTT and Winkeyer ports correctly. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Van N4VGE

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi Van

The screen you posted looks ok, but that is only a small part, the CAT control of the radio.

If you look back at my screen, there are multiple parts. What do they look like. You don't really say what is working and what isn't.

• KM0T
    KM0T Member ✭✭

Mike I did FLrig as you suggested, made all the connections and had it working, however the release of the PTT/MOX was severely delayed after end of transmission. The RF was off, but MOX was holding on for more than a few seconds.... More like 5 to 10 seconds.

Tried it both ways with TS-2000 and a com port, as well as TCPIP port. Both had the same results, delayed PTT/MOX off after transmission ended.

I changed it all back to Rigcat, and release of PTT/MOX was immediate, so not sure if there is a setting I'm missing.

Im not sure what Im missing out on if I stay with rigcat...

Thanks again. 73 de KM0T

• Mike-VA3MW

@KM0T Something is holding the radio in TX. Maybe VOX with a long delay? It sounds like FLDigi is sending the command delayed for some reason. Can you see FLDigi changing mode?

If Rigcat is working for you, that is fine. You aren't missing out on anything at this point.

• billspeedie
    billspeedie Member ✭✭

Mike, thanks for posting your screen shots and directions. I just got fldigi to work using them, after a couple unsuccessful tries a few months back. One thing that made it more difficult was that my prior searches came up with some obsolete directions based on old versions of the software. -- Bill, KA6T

• Allen K4VA
    Allen K4VA Member
    > @billspeedie said:
    > Mike, thanks for posting your screen shots and directions. I just got fldigi to work using them, after a couple unsuccessful tries a few months back. One thing that made it more difficult was that my prior searches came up with some obsolete directions based on old versions of the software. -- Bill, KA6T

Agreed... it would be great to see how to set up FLDigi using the most recent release (which now has Flex under rig options) & SmartSDR v 3.4.21.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.