Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Are there any minimum WiFi requirements for a Maestro?

[{"insert":"Hello everyone,\nJust wondering about the minimum WiFi requirement for a Maestro? I purchased a 6500 with the Maestro used over the weekend and wanted to make sure I can use it once it arrives. \nAll the best,\nLarry\n"}]

Comments

• stigmata
    stigmata Member
    same question. is any public IP necessary?
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

You need a wired or WiFi ethernet connection from the Maestro to the radio. Internet is only required for SmartLink (i.e. remote operation) or for upgrading the SW/FW.

The easiest setup is to have the radio, PC (if used) and Maestro all plugged into your modem/router (or a network switch plugged into the router) set up to provide DHCP-served IP addresses (most routers are set up this way right out of the box). Using wired ethernet provides the best network performance.

I don't know what the WiFi requirements are, but any reasonably modern WiFi setup should work. Note that the closer you are to your neighbors running WiFi on the same frequency bands as you (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz), the more likely you are to have latency and/or dropouts due to channel contention. In my case, I am on a 2.4 GHz WiFi, and I can see TONS of neighbors' WiFi signals. I can (and do occasionally) run remote from my living room using WiFi, but 99% of the time I run Wired ethernet to a switch plugged into my router. No matter how congested WiFi gets, I have a consistently good experience with my set up.

If you really need to go with WiFi, I would suggest trying it out with what you have. If it is unacceptably slow or has problems, look into a more robust 5 GHz WiFi system - I don't think they are prohibitively expensive ($100 USD or so).

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2021

Dan and I answer a bunch of questions regarding your concerns in this video.

If you need more info, don't hesitate to ask.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.