Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300-wsjt-x ant 1 ant 2 problem

Hello.
The radio is fine switching from antenna 1 and 2 by itself, depending on bands of course. When I get wsjt-x running, the rig will stay on either 1 or 2, won't switch antennas. I got the latest update( on the flex) and using WSJTX version 2.1.2. Any help would be appreciate it. Thanks.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@raul3095 How or when it the antenna switching? Are you saying with no other programs in use, it will switch on its own? Are you changing bands?

I need some more info to understand your situation. Maybe a video?

• raul3095
    raul3095 Member ✭✭
    Hello Mike and thanks for replying.
    It happens when I switch bands on WSJT-X - Let's say I am on 40m and I switch bands to 15m (on WSJT-X) the antenna stays the same - I have 15m on antenna 2 and 40m on antenna 1.
  • raul3095
    raul3095 Member ✭✭
    I made two short videos showing the problem, just let me know where I can send/upload them

Thanks Mike.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

you can upload them here (I think) or youtube

• raul3095
    raul3095 Member ✭✭
    https://youtu.be/OkTypx1uc-Y
    https://youtu.be/trzJAiY1b3s
    The first video is the radio with no WSJTX - working fine.
    The second one is with WSJTX running.

Thanks.
  • raul3095
    raul3095 Member ✭✭
    https://youtu.be/DCfsUzUhmD4

a video on WSJT-X settings.
  • Mike-VA3MW

ah, yes

So, if I remember correctly, that is working as designed but I can't remember the exact explanation. This also includes TX and RX antenna.

It comes down to how you change bands. When you change bands via the radio, the radio remembers the antenna from the last band (persistence). It is explained on page 68 of the SmartSDR manual.

Persistence, always enabled on your Signature Series radio, remembers settings from band to band without your direct action so that when you return to a band, your settings are restored. For example, if you are operating on 20m and set the Slice frequency to 14.185, then go to 10m and set the Slice frequency to 28.1 MHz and then go back to 20m, persistence will return your Slice to 14.185 MHz. Resetting the radio to the factory settings (see section 41) will clear the persistence settings.

So, the question is why. When you are doing computer generated band changes you don't want to yank antennas away from some other user/client and this is even more of a concern with Multi-Flex on SO2R operation.

What you see is the radio working as designed. It is a good question you had. I had to go ask a few people why it was done that way.

• raul3095
    raul3095 Member ✭✭
    well, now we know, we all learn something new.

Thanks Mike!!!
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Raul:

Here is whats I think is happening. When you manually change band (band command) with a flex control (SSDR or MAESTRO) the radio remembers the last freq, ant, etc (persistence). It appears that WSJT-X commands the radio using a "frequency command", evidently the radio doesn't remember the band antenna and other settings.

When I manually change bands using the band buttons on my Maestro the 6500 the remembers the different antennas when changing bands. When I manually key in the frequency, the radio retains the antenna setting used on the previous frequency.

If I'm full of it someone please tell me.

Gayle K0FLY

• raul3095
    raul3095 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Gayle

According to Mike, that's made by design. That would be the case if someone uses multiflex and the other party changes band/antenna, in which could create a problem. That's my understanding. Persistence won't work unless is done by the operator using SSDR/Maestro. It's not a big deal in a way, But would be nice if the operator could control that as an option I think. I love my flex and that's just a small issue, no biggie...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.