Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote operators need Sidetone returned to them

As a DX and contest operator, I offer the following essential product suggestion. 

1. Provide remote operators a sidetone returned via SmartSDR or DAX. Sidetone is essential to be aware of what the radio is doing. Currently, when I use a logging program to key the remote radio, I have no way of knowing if keying is proper. 

Best regards,

Mark Aaker K6UFO

4 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭

A real problem existing since Pre V1 SmartSDR. This is different than the arguments about remote real time keying, which must be done at the (remote or local) driving device.

When contesting I always connect my paddle AND HEADPHONES directly into the Flex6 so N1MM keying is monitored. Not possible on remote.

Re-emphisize: HEARING computer keying (N1MM+) is mandatory in all modes (CW/Phone/Digital) and latency (within a degree) is acceptable, local and remote.

• Thanks Stan, Yes, back when I was occasionally on-site I would connect directly into the Flex. But travel restrictions for the pandemic have kept me away from the site, and I have been operating 100% remote for months now. Being able to monitor the remote transmitter operation (even with some delay) is a very basic requirement, that Flex needs to add into the remote software.

Mark K6UFO

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭

Possibly interesting side note re remote operations. ITU regulations require your radio to be "controlled" by a licensed operator. If you cannot see/hear what your radio is doing then how can you be in control of what IS happening? It may be looping on a computer recording (cw/phone/digital) without your knowledge, or even by another person in your hosting location. I teach this stuff but this combination never came up in class.

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭

"ITU" Regulations?

Tim VE6SH

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

Does a side tone in a remote Maestro really tell you what the transceiver is doing?

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭

@Tim VE6SH Yes - The model regulations that our controlling body (and all their preceding departments) have implemented for years. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Telecommunication_Union and their sub/parallel body the IARU

@Neil Yes - Maestro side tone tells what you are doing but NOT what (e.g.) N1MM+ is doing on your behalf. My point is "How can you be a 'Control Operator' when you cannot tell what your transmitter is doing?"

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭

Neil I can assure you Article 25 of the ITU RRs does not address the need for a control operator. The IARU is a sector member of the ITU BR and BDT, but it is not a treaty making body or regulatory authority or a parallel body of the ITU. Restrictions on control of a licensed/authorized station vary from country to country and are made and implemented by the national regulator. I appreciate this is off topic from the question asked, but clearly remote operations fall well within Canadian regulations. You are controlling the radio whether you are sitting in front of it or 1000km away.

Tim VE6SH

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭

Sorry, I meant Stan rather than Neil.

Tim VE6SH

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

And, if you don't know who VE6SH, google it. :)

The sidetone for CW is generated by the device sending the CW. In this case, the WinKeyer on the actual radio. The is the way it is designed.

We fully understand with remote operation that we need to hear that CW side tone. Today, there are a few ways to make it work and some of them are easier than others.

I use VoiceMeeter on the PC at the remote end PC to grab the audio out from the actual radio and send it back to my remote location.

Radio <Audio Out - Line In PC> VoiceMeeter / VBAN <> Internet/VPN <> PC at home <> VBAN --> speakers

It is a bit complicated but it works.

Others are. using Remote Keyer Interface https://groups.io/g/RemoteKeyerInterface

Yes, it would be nice if this was part of SmartSDR, but, for today, it isn't.

Mike

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭

Count my vote for RemoteKeyer. Works very well.

Tim VE6SH

• Hi everyone, I currently use this system.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.