Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

sainsmart relay module

I watched with interest Mike Walker's youtube video presentation on the use of the Flex 6000 series and usb interface. I wonder if anyone has had an experience with the Sainsmart usb relay module with 16 relays? Thanks for any comment
Dave K9UK

Comments

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

I use an 8-relay module of that kind to control 120 volt devices with a RPi - works quite well. Not being used for my Flex. I drive the logic with 3v and the relays with 5v.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I have used the SainSmart USB-8 module direct from the Flex. I used it as a bit cable device for antenna switching before I purchased the 4O3A 2x8 antenna switch.

This is the module I used.

SainSmart USB Eight Channel Relay Board for Automation - 12 V: Usb Relay Module: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Dave wo2x

• Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    Thanks,
    I have a Denkovi usb 8 relay board but have a use for at least 11 relays -- Just trying to put everything on one board --
    Dave - K9UK
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭

I have used the Denkovi relay board and the Sainsmart relay board, both work fine as my antenna switcher by frequency.

Drives one of the 5 position remote antenna switch my MicroHam. Jim K4JAF

• KR5OG Paul K
    KR5OG Paul K Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020

This has been a great discussion, I have the Sainsmart board purchased from Amazon and will be doing the hookup in the next few weeks.

from reading this discussion I am anxious to get started. I have found there are many more things it can be used for than expected.

Paul

KR5OG

• David Decoons, wo2x

One more comment, I had used the USB-8 board plugged into the Flex to drive a W2IHY 1x4 antenna switch. With a small experimenter's box, cable and connectors I had a 4 port automatic antenna switch that followed the Flex for under $200 total.

Dave wo2x

• Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    ok - Here is the plan -- I am ordering the Sainsmart usb 16 relay board on Amazon and will be testing when it arrives -- Let you know
    Thanks all for the comments,
    Dave k9uk
  • Lou KI5FTY
    Lou KI5FTY Member ✭✭

So it seems dangerous to use this with a PI vs the Flex. I read that it resets the relays multiple times on reboot (usb version)

"When the board is connected to the PC while PC is restarted, the relays will be toggled several times which because of the structure of the FTDI chip."

How do you avoid transmitting into a grounded or open antenna port?

• Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭

My application is to have the relay board feed an antenna switching network (a diode matrix to sixpak) -- I will connect the board directly to the usb port on the Flex and let the Flex determine by band what relay is selected. I have not received the board yet but that's the idea if it works :).

• Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭

Sainsmart relay board (usb 16 relays). Tried and failed. The Flex did not recognize the board. Had no problems with the Denkovi 8 relay board and if my project continues I will just have two Denkovi boards instead of one board with 16 Relays. Lesson learned.

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭

Six Months Later... Beginning of JUNE 21 hopefully those in the know still following. I managed to pick up an enclosed KK1L 2X6 Port Antenna Switch that was hooked to a Printer cable to a manual switchbox with Channel 1-6 center off radio A or B toggle switches. So I can manually select any of the ports on the KK1L board. But not auto select a B radio side in SO2R automatically or select multiband antennas.

Trying to automate... I picked up a SainSmart 8 port board this week and it showed yesterday... Clicks fine in the bit mode, and I will have zero issues getting the Single band antennas to switch by the correct relays. MY PROBLEM? I have only two single band antennas. a 6 meter beam and a 17M beam. The other antennas are a tribander and a Doublet that fills in for everything else 80-60-40-30-and 12m... My channels are assigned 0= 6M, 1=17m beam, 2= tribander, 3 =Johnson matchbox with the 135' CF doublet for 80-60-40-30-12m

I'm scratching my head as to how to get those multiband antennas to switch. OH I could go to antenna channel 2 on the FLEX 6500, but I have no way to select FREQUENCY CONTROL and exclude 17m as it is in the middle of the tribander, or the doublet frequency would only work 80-30 and exclude 12M... I'm not trying to use this board for SO2R just switch my antennas... Of course manual works peachy...

Erika DD

• David Decoons, wo2x

Erika,

I have a solution for you but just going to bed (12:35 a.m.). Ham fest tomorrow so 5 hrs sleep before getting up.

Email me direct to remind me. I have a SainSmart USB 8 and can explain how I jumpered it to do what you want. My email good on QRZ. I will also post the solution on here for others to see as well. I’ll include my cell with my reply to your email.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.