Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Display of Flex-6500

Mike
Mike Member
edited October 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Just wondering why dot matrix display of Flex 6500 does not show any useful information, like frequency for example? Showing callsign constantly is nice, but it causes dots to burn and not much useful for operation anyway.

Comments

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes, it’s just a commercial, but it can be dimmed in the setup.

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭

Other then display of personal info, it is only use is to display restart info. In the past before the major radio design for the 6400/6600 radios, the display could of been used for a minimal radio stand alone operation. This would have been had usefulness for no computer portable minimalist no IP network operation device operation. This would have been good for battery operation.

• If the display can be controlled by SmartSDR, then in concept, the display could display other information. How about posing the question to Tim and then that could be a feature request for the type of data that can be displayed.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭

Mike,

This was brought up about 7 years ago. Many ideas for additional data were suggested and initially FRS agreed with adding some of them as well as suggesting some additional data elements. Obviously it never happened. Read about it below, I'd suggest adding your vote but I doubt it will ever happen now since the new models don't have the display.

https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/5637023/front-panel-display-an-idea#latest

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

6700 Win10 SSDR V2.4.10

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭

Since this would be an improvement that would be only for 6300, 6500 and 6700 radios. It would be a piece of work that would not benefit the complete line of 6000 radios and use up valuable memory space that is needed for other needed improvements. Before the advent of the new line of radios, I would have really wanted to see useful and more robust features and uses for the display. At this point in time, it has now become rather irrelevant and I fear it will not even be considered by Flexradio.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭

Patrick, agree and actually the front panels are only on the 6500 & 6700. After 7 years and with many more beneficial ideas also not implemented, I would give it less than a 1 in 1,000 chance of happening.

Regards Al / NN4ZZ

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭

The 6500 is discontinued as we know. There will be no more enhancements made. Only maintenance updates.

• Bill, we understand that.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.