Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Soundmodem/Winlink Setup for Packet

Jeremy_W2JG
Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭
Greetings!

I have a 6700 and would like to do packet over 2m using Soundmodem and Winlink Express. Could someone please tell me their step by step setup in both Soundmodem and Winklink you used to get it to work? Does one need to set up both a CAT and PTT ports in SmartSDR CAT?

Many Thanks!

Jeremy
W2JG

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

FYI. I moved this post to the Station Integration category and change it the a Q&A since it relates to integration of hardware with a FLEX-6000 and is a question seeking an answer rather than a pure discussion

• Jeremy_W2JG
    Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭
    Thanks Tim! I getting use to the new layout. Really appreciate all you do for us!!!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

@Jeremy_W2JG No problem. Take a quick look at this post in the Message Board: Using New Q&A (Question & Answer) Feature

• Jeremy_W2JG
    Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭
    Tim,

Where do I find this in the Q&A section, is it the category of "Unanswered" on the right? If so, when I click that, it says that something has gone wrong.

As it turns out, through trial and error and with the help from a Winlink expert, I have answered my own question. Would anyone else lie to know how to set it up?

In the end, not hard...

Thanks again for all your help!

Jeremy
    W2JG
  • Mark Davis
    Mark Davis Member ✭✭

Jeremy;

Please do provide details on how you were able to get SoundModem to work with your Flex-6700.

I'm using my Flex-6600 with a 2M transverter and 70cm transverter. I have set up a serial port for PTT in SSDR CAT, and I have SoundModem keying the radio, However, I'm running into problems getting the audio right.

Thank you

Mark - AD7EF

• Jeremy_W2JG
    Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭

Mark,

I would be happy to help you! I don't think putting the details in this thread is appropriate because it is off topic. I can start a discussion on how to do it. What part of the country/world do you live in, I could give you a call and walk you through it. My email is w2jg.jeremy@icloud.com. We can exchange phone numbers and time to do this. I will also write up the details at some point for others. Let me also know what program you are linking Soundmodem with, so we can cover all the bases. In the end it is pretty straight forward and we can get you going pretty fast, but I WELL UNDERSTAND how you feel, I have been there!

Jeremy

W2JG

• Jeremy_W2JG
    Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020

Mark,

An update to my last comment, I would still be happy to call you, but this is EXACTLY where I should post the details for the setup. I left the previous comment in the middle of the night and thought I was responding to a different post. I was tired and messed up, please forgive. I can call you to respond quickly or you can wait for the write up. Sorry for the confusion!

Jeremy

w2JG

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭

I have tried several times using WinLink's software TNC without a connection. It seems the latency is too long and the attempt times out. I would like to hear from anyone with a 6700 with a 70W DEM amplifier that has it working.

• Jeremy_W2JG
    Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020

Stan,

I too have a 6700 with the 70W DEM amp and have it working and will do a write-up in the next few days. I have both Soundmodem working for Winlink Packet as well as Winlink with VARA FM. If anyone wants the VARA FM setup, let me know.

Jeremy

W2JG

• Jeremy_W2JG
    Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020

Mark, Stan, and all others interested,

With the help of others, I was able to answer my own originally posted question . I have written up a step by step process for setting up both Soundmodem and Winlink for Packet communications using a 6000 series Flexradio to help others who have the same problem. I have included NUMEROUS screen shots of each menu needed to get you up and running. (The document is 16 pages, so I made it a pdf instead of posting directly) I hope this document helps others!

Please let me know if there should be any corrections needed in the document.

Enjoy!

Jeremy

W2JG

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.