Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

heil 781 mic

How do i setup up this 781 Mic ,Inrad mic 629 would this be a better mic for 6400M

JOE

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi Joe, I am using a Heil PR781 mic with my Flex 6400M transceiver. In SmartSDR v3.1.12 software on the computer hooked to the transceiver using Menu, Profile Manager, Mic or using the Menu on the transceiver, there are two Heil mic equalization profiles in the dropdown menu. They are default PR781 and default PR781 ESSB 3_2K. Highlight and load a mic profile and give it a spin! 73.
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭

Both Heil and Inrad mic’s have profiles.

I have both mic’s the 781 and 629. The Inrad 629 is hotter than the 781. The 629 drives my amp better without the highs of a DX mic. Both are very good.

I run a 6600M and a Kenwood 990s with both mic’s

Tom

NA7AA

• JOEC
    JOEC Member
    edited September 2020
    > @"David Sexton" said:
    > Hi Joe, I am using a Heil PR781 mic with my Flex 6400M transceiver. In SmartSDR v3.1.12 software on the computer hooked to the transceiver using Menu, Profile Manager, Mic or using the Menu on the transceiver, there are two Heil mic equalization profiles in the dropdown menu. They are default PR781 and default PR781 ESSB 3_2K. Highlight and load a mic profile and give it a spin! 73.

Thank u when u do set Heil profiles does this set the transmit band width and audio 20 db boost

Joe
  • JOEC
    JOEC Member
    I have mic at home I forget model looks like 781 ,629 ill post what that mic is when home see if any of you heard of it,
    I used 781 on yaesu 3000 ,something caught my eye with 629 mic maybe because Flex sells them

I really like everyone's input,I will be running Ten Tec Titan 425 amp with 6400M i have see how setup radio so it keys the amplifier ok..

Joe
  • JOEC
    JOEC Member
    edited September 2020
    I decided go with 629 mic ,what adapter and cables do i need -I have Heil hand trigger squeeze trigger to key radio from my icom ICM mic.

INRAD M-629 microphone

INRAD M-YM RJ 45 adapter

INRAD M-Y 8 Pin jack adapter

INRAD M-F cable for 3.5mm FlexRadio 6400/6600
  • JOEC
    JOEC Member
    > @"NA7AA Tom" said:
    > Both Heil and Inrad mic’s have profiles.
    > I have both mic’s the 781 and 629. The Inrad 629 is hotter than the 781. The 629 drives my amp better without the highs of a DX mic. Both are very good.
    > I run a 6600M and a Kenwood 990s with both mic’s
    > Tom
    > NA7AA

How far from 629 mic do you talk to sound best,
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭

NRAD M-F cable for 3.5mm FlexRadio 6400/6600

your trigger squeeze will work, but you will be better off getting the mic with the base. Your PTT will be on the base. Nice and clean. You could use both trigger and mic base together with a “Y” adapter. Go to Inrad web site and take a look.

Tom

NA7AA

• JOEC
    JOEC Member
    > @"NA7AA Tom" said:
    > NRAD M-F cable for 3.5mm FlexRadio 6400/6600
    > your trigger squeeze will work, but you will be better off getting the mic with the base. Your PTT will be on the base. Nice and clean. You could use both trigger and mic base together with a “Y” adapter. Go to Inrad web site and take a look.
    > Tom
    > NA7AA

I normally sit in easy chair about 6 feet from radio desk _bad back_,with headset and mic in hand ,desk mic stands I don't use .how far from 629 do you talk into it,,thanks JOE
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭

About and inch or two.

Tom

NA7AA

• JOEC
    JOEC Member
    > @"NA7AA Tom" said:
    > About and inch or two.
    > Tom
    > NA7AA

Thanks talked Stan @ INRAD he does not know what cables I need to to use 629 with Heil trigger PPT to complete the mic system-its getting more more more confusing
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭

Trigger plugs into back of your Flex Radio. Stan can sell you a cable that plugs into the 629 mic then yo the 3.5 on the Flex. You still need a mic stand.

That why I suggested you buy the mic and stand package. It will come with one mic cable as part of the package. You specify you want the cable that plugs into the mic jack on the back of your Flex

Tom

NA7AA

• JOEC
    JOEC Member
    edited September 2020
    > @"NA7AA Tom" said:
    > Trigger plugs into back of your Flex Radio. Stan can sell you a cable that plugs into the 629 mic then yo the 3.5 on the Flex. You still need a mic stand.
    > That why I suggested you buy the mic and stand package. It will come with one mic cable as part of the package. You specify you want the cable that plugs into the mic jack on the back of your Flex
    > Tom
    > NA7AA

Your really a great help,but i dont use mic stands ,I hold mics in my hand I dont sit at a desk to talk ,I hold mic in one hand and use the heil ptt trigger in other hand .
  • JOEC
    JOEC Member
    Well my old friend from radio sport headsets ,told me his PTT foot switch that I have has RCA plug that goes to 6400M PTT rca plug on back of radio,
  • JOEC
    JOEC Member
    NRAD series M-F cable for 3.5mm stereo mic jack FlexRadio 6400/6600 transceivers. Use this cable instead of the cable supplied with INRAD M-series microphones when the microphone is not in use with the INRAD DMS-1 PTT base.

XLR 3 pin connector for microphone, 3.5mm stereo TRS jack for transceiver. For PTT, connect a hand or footswitch directly to the FlexRadio 6400/6600 RCA phono PTT jack on the rear of the radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.