Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Desk mic for FLEX-6400 - MC629 or MC650

k3pw
k3pw Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I'd like a little advice on the selection of a desk mic. I've looked at the descriptions of the MC629 and MC650 and see that the 629 is meant for rag chewing and 650 for contesting and DX. My question is can EQ be used with the MC629 to get the same response as the MC650.

Thanks,
Stan, K3PW

Best Answer

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Stan, the TX EQ is excellent on the Flex 6000 radios. I get great audio reports from my stock FHM-3 hand mic. I did a bit of adjusting the TX EQ before getting positive comments. Ken Wells, NM9P, has an excellent series of videos on YouTube that uses a novel approach to adjusting your EQ using the full duplex feature.

I am guessing that the 629 has a wider freq response. That would be my suggestion as you can more easily narrow down a wider mic using the EQ than making a narrow mic wider. You can set up different mic profiles for different purposes. One for DX, one for rag-chew and anything else that you can think of. I have one profile for my FHM-3, one for my laptop mic, and one for my phone when I am remote.

Len, KD0RC

Answers

• k3pw
    k3pw Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Len.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

You're welcome! By the way, if you get a dynamic mic, be sure to turn off the bias...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.