Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Laptop for SmartSDR recommendation

Hello, folks.
I just purchase a 6400, and I need a PC notebook to go along with it.
I will be mostly be using SmartSDR remotely using WiFi.

Is gaming laptop better? I heard that they have noisy fans.
Is Nvidia GPU better than built-in intel graphics?
Wifi 6 required?
Which laptop has the best spec for SmartSDR for Windows (for remote)?
I am mostly looking under $1500.

Lenovo Legion 5?
HP Omen 15?
Asus G15?

any recommendation helps.
thank you.

Comments

• Ignacy
    Ignacy Member ✭✭
    I have Microsoft Surface 5 with a mobile processor. Everything is fine except up to 0.5 s latency, including when local. Graphics are good. Seems any laptop can do the graphics but small latency is crucial. Not sure whether the latency is due to slow audio drivers or something else. My 2012 desktop does not show measurable latency.
    Ignacy NO9E
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

@gromit86 In this post, you asked a question where you wanted to get an answer, but the post was designated as a discussion topic. Please see the Message Board post Using New Q&A (Question & Answer) Feature for how to create a Question and Answer (Q&A) post. I went ahead and converted your post to a Q&A.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

@gromit86 You asked...

Is gaming laptop better? I heard that they have noisy fans.

Generally, the answer to this is "yes" as gaming PCs are usually optimized to have the least amount of internal latency caused by long duration DPCs

Is Nvidia GPU better than built-in intel graphics?

This depends. Most on chip graphics have gotten very good and are no longer an issue with rending the Panadapter display.

Wifi 6 required?

No, 802.11ax is not required. But I see no reason why it would not work, regardless to the type of Access Point (AP) you are connecting it to.

Which laptop has the best spec for SmartSDR for Windows (for remote)? I am mostly looking under $1500.

I have no direct experience with those laptops. Sorry.

• gromit86
    gromit86 Member
    oh, ok. thanks, Ignacy and Tim. maybe i posted in a wrong section.
    so i think the latency is probably one of the crucial factor when choosing a laptop..
    thanks a lot

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.