Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Issue Viewing Community with Firefox Web Browser

Nice job on getting the Community back up and running! I like the new format and layout. Only issue I see so far deals with viewing the community using Firefox (Version 79.0). It takes abnormal amount of time to load the pages for some reason. Firefox displays a yellow message box saying: "a web page is slowing down your browser" when accessing the community? Anyone else notice this?

Best Answer

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

On my dual boot machine, [Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1610 @ 2.60GHz, 2600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)], I get the following rough timings vs browser :

Ubuntu Linux Firefox - up to 25 seconds to load a Flex page, typically 20-25 sec. (The "yellow bar" comes up at ~ 10 seconds wait, asking if you'd like to kill the bad page!)

Ubuntu Linux Chromium - typically 10 seconds

Win 10 - Edge - blazing fast (couple of seconds)

Win 10 - Firefox - 10 - 20 seconds, maybe faster than in Linux

All OS's and browsers are fully up to date. Firefox works fine on all other sites I seem to access. I have disabled all extensions for the Win 10 tests.

It seems that the Flex CMS has a serious bug that appears when running Firefox, especially on Linux. It's actually pretty annoying, because otherwise I prefer Firefox!

73 Martin AA6E

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

@Cal N3CAL I exclusively used Firefox when building and using the COmmunity and I have never encountered an issue like you have described. I'd look to see what add-ons and plugins you have installed. Especially if one of them is scanning every page you are viewing.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2020

Also, I changed this discussion to a Q&A since you asked a question and desired an answer. Please see the Message Board post Using New Q&A (Question & Answer) Feature for using the Community Q&A feature.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Cal. Yes, I have the same issue on my old desktop running Windows Vista. I attribute the problem to not being able to update Firefox. My Win 10 laptop and Android phone do not exhibit this behavior. I have a new computer on order, so I don't think I will have the problem much longer.

Len, KD0RC

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭

Thanks for the reply Tim. The only extension that I run is Adblock Plus but I have it turned off for the community. That was the first thing I tried before posting.

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭

@Len KD0RC, thanks for the reply Len! That may be it, The issue I have is currently on a Windows 7 Laptop. Thanks...

• W1WRA
    W1WRA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I thought the site was just a little sluggish. I agree in Windows (10) it seems to behave slower in Firefox than Chrome or Microsoft Edge (which is chrome based). I was genuinely surprised in the speed difference.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

My i5 Win 10 laptop using MS Edge has no issues with the Community site. My i7 Win Vista desktop using Firefox is slow. I will upgrade the Vista machine to Win 10 at some point which will let me get current on browsers. Vista never was any good...

Len

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

I am using an iPad on a 60 Mbps link, and find load times to be extremely sluggish. Same with various browsers on Mac and Linux, although not as bad as on the iPad.

Times range from 5 - 10 seconds for some pages, especially when using the menu at the top. Quite annoying.

Ted VE3TRQ

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

No, problem with speed here using iPad with Safari or my Mac with Safari. Only problem on the iPad was a formatting issue that Tim fixed. Internet link speed is 200 Mbs.

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭

I have same sluggish loads with a newer laptop running Windows 10 and Firefox. Tried a different network as well. All my other daily websites I access load fast but the Flex community is very slow??

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭

Same with FF 79 on Windows 10, though it seems subsequent pages load faster after the first page loads.

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

Right on, Martin. I use Firefox on Linux, and it’s agonizing.

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭

@Tim - W4TME Interesting that you don't see Firefox problems. Are you using the current version? I find this behavior with v79. Just today I upgraded to v80 on Win 10, and I'm seeing the same results.

I also appreciate your wish to make this a Q&A, but the distinction is a bit blurred here. Some Q's have many A's..

As previously stated, my problems happen with all extensions disabled. FF does have some other services like syncing passwords, options, etc. among your various systems. I tried disabling sync and ad blocker, but no major change in performance.

73 Martin AA6E

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

I just tried Chrome (Version 84.0.4147.125 (Official Build) (64-bit)) on MacOS 10.13.6, and speed is very acceptable, two to three seconds to load - and I have Javascript and marketing / linked sites severely restricted.

Loaded the site with Firefox (tried both 68.0b14 (64-bit) and 81.0b1 (64-bit)), right beside this Chrome version, and the initial load of the Community site took about 6 or 7 seconds. Clicking back and forth on the "Discussions" and "Categories" tabs also took 3 (Categories) to 8 (Discussions or FlexRadio home) seconds.

• W1WRA
    W1WRA Member ✭✭
    Martin, I also just upgraded to v80 today and see similar timing issues. Very quick in Chrome, not quick in Firefox, windows 10, all extensions disabled. I don't like doing too much in Chrome. I will say it loads pretty quick using the Brave browser, but Firefox is my day to day browser.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

Today the Community website on my Linux Ubuntu distro (18.04) with Firefox 78.0.2 (64-bit) is runnig at good speed - no delays. I shake my head - no idea what's going on.