Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Crashes with new software

This discussion was created from comments split from: Screen layout for SDR/Mac.

Comments

• K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭
    I have had several crashes since I have installed the software. The entire Mac computer crashes, not just the software. I can't run it for more than about 10 minutes and then the Mac gets a black screen and says something about a critical error has occurred and the Mac will reboot. Using on a less than one year old iMac with 128GB memory and i9 processor.
  • K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭
    Some observations with my crashing problem. If I make the SDR window less than half the size on my screen, the software won't crash. If I resize the screen and it's more than 50% of the monitor, the software crashes after about 10 minutes.

Last night I opened 3 panadapters and sized them to about a quarter of the screen. I left it running all night an no issues. I opened a 4th panadapter to fill the last quarter of the screen and after 10-15 minutes, it crashed again. So it seems to be a combination of the SDR window size and the amount of screen that is used. This only happens on my 2019 iMac 27" 5K with an 8 core i9 processor and 128GB of ram.

If I run SmartSDR in "low Res Mode", I don't get the crashes and can run full screen. Of course, it doesn't look near as good and the graphics aren't very crisp.

When I run on my 2015 MacBook Pro 13" and my 2015 MacBook Pro 15", I have no issues. They both run fine.

So I don't know if the software doesn't like the 5K retna screen or if it doesn't like the Radeon Pro 580x graphics card.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Can you capture the crash log and send it to me (michael@flexradio.com) . Do not send it to Apple.

I'll forward it to Marcus. If you have reported it to him, let me know so I won't duplicate effort.

• K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭
    Ok, I will try. When it crashes, it just doesn't crash the software. It crashes the entire computer. I guess it's like the Apple equivalent of the "blue screen of death" on a windows machine. After it crashes, the computer reboots.
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭

Interesting - I'll have to try running it full screen on my mac - same 27 inch display.

• K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭
    Update on my issue. I think the issue is/was with my computer and not the app. When I purchased the iMac, I bought it with 8GB of memory and then purchased 128GB and replaced it. I took the 128 out this morning and put the 8GB of original memory back in and ran the software for over 2 hours with no issues. I have now put half the memory back in (64GB) and have been running for over an hour with no issues. I will run this way for a few days and then add one of the two remaining memory cards back in. Either I have a bad memory card or maybe one of them wasn't seated correctly?
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭

are you using the spots feature? if so try turning it off.

• K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭
    Not using the spots feature. I believe my issue was a memory problem. Hasn't crashed now in 24 hours.