Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Fan Power Supply PowerGenius XL and noise

2»

Answers

• Len Morris
    Len Morris Member ✭✭

I was told by Mike VA3MW that the noise you hear, when you go from Standby to Operate is the power supply Fans.

To me it is the pitch of the fans (mechanical) that bothers me.

The cooling fans when you actually transmit, is very quiet. Any improvement would be appreciated my me.

Len VE3FJB

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

I've exchanged email with 403A about the PG-XL fan noise and was told there might be some room for improvement in this area (i.e., lower the fan noise level), so perhaps we'll see some changes eventually.

KF4HR

• w5ap
    w5ap Member ✭✭

I found the noise so objectionable, that I moved the amp outside the shack in a large weatherproof enclosure I call the dog shack.

It is wired for 240VAC, connected by a CAT 7 LAN cable to a GBit switch inside the shack, and ventilated with an exhaust fan with a remote switch I engage when the amp temp reaches 60 C.

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Sure, pay 7000USD and put it in the "dog shack" :) ...lets see, I will get mine tomorrow. Some are more sensitive to noise than others. But I likee my Alpha87a and Acom2000 a lot!

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

A perfectly quiet shack is always preferred but I normally wear a noise cancelling headset/mic arrangement, and I've never had a complaint about the fan noise being heard during my transmissions. Also (unless Contest Mode is selected) when the PG-XL is switched to Standby, its fan noise stops. Given the many advantages of the PG-XL, its fan noise is a minor issue for me. My only other minor issue was its rear mounted power switch but I overcame that by building a voice activated 240v-40a relay which works beautifully. I own an Alpha 87A and other HF Amplifiers but my PG-XL gets the most use. My hat is off to FRS and 403A for bringing such a nice amp to market.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.