Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using FDX to set up your TX Audio

Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
How to use the FDX feature to set up your TX audio.

As well, how to use the RX Equalizer to   your advantage.

73 all es GL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p79V9Nn8l0U

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Mike, these videos really help us get the most from our Flex radios. NM9P also did a set of videos on this topic. He goes into some good detail, and I recommend them highly. 73, Len, KD0RC
  • w5ap
    w5ap Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Mike
    I never ever use SDR since I have a 6600m  other than save the profiles to a file
    That being said, 
    Would you please show how to adjust things in the 6600M screens as well as Smart SDR
    tnx es 73
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2020
    Let me see what I can do.  

However, the process is exactly the same and the antenna selection Icons are very similar.

Essentially:

• Set up 2 slices on the same frequency and same mode on a clear frequency -- I usually 10 meters
    • On one Slice, select that as TX and reduce your RF power to 1 or 2 watts into a dummy load or resonant antenna
    • On the other, receiving slice, set your volume and an RX antenna (blue) of XVTR or RXA or B -- what is key is that it is a different antenna than your TX Slice antenna
    • Turn on FDX 
    • Now, when you transmit, you will be able to hear yourself in the other receiver.
    This picture covers the critical settings.   In this case, we are transmitting on ANT1 (Red) on Slice A and receiving on Slice B on XVTA (Blue) and then turn FDX on.

• Keith WA0BEU
    Keith WA0BEU Member ✭✭
    Thanks Mike, great info!
  • Paulo CT1ETE
    Paulo CT1ETE Member ✭✭

Mike,

What happens if after using FDX I forget to set FDX off and use the same ANT on slice A for RX and TX in normal operation (100w)? As per Flex manual, it seems that even with FDX on, RX is muted if TX antenna is the same as RX antenna.

Paulo

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

That is correct Paulo.

• Mike-VA3MW

@Paulo CT1ETE

You won't hurt the radio. It has protection circuits.

Keep in mind that every HF radio I know has RF coming down the antenna right to the front end amplifiers even if you are not receiving on that frequency. Even if the radio is off.

Think about it. :)

• Paulo CT1ETE
    Paulo CT1ETE Member ✭✭

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid because I think I saw some kind of calculation for FDX power to be used not to damage the SCU, but I believe that is with a different antenna on RX.

73 Paulo

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.