Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

USB 3.0 To Firewire Adapter For Flex 5000a Questions

2»

Answers

• Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    So, the slot below it probably will not work for it, right ?
    I wonder what kind of slot is below the graphics card slot.

The more I get into this, the more I think it is time to return this computer. They have agreed to refund all the money I paid for this.
    Of all the many computers I looked at for my Flex 5000a, this one was by far the most powerful. I hate to say goodbye to that AMD Ryzen 7 Processor and AMD RX 580 Video Card.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I would return it. but here is one more thing you can maybe do. Does your motherboard have a n on board graphics card? You can simply take out the graphics card, go into bios and tell the computer to use the on board graphics. Now you can actually plug in your PCIE firewire card into the the last few spaces into  slot your graphics card was in. But,,such a waste, that graphics card is expensive.

Just take the computer back and see if they have something that fits your needs better, that is the best advice for you I can offer.
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hey Chris,
    Download 'Belarc Adviser' (it's free) it will tell you the model number of the motherboard. Getting that model number will be a big help. Maybe you won't have to return it once we look up your model number.
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I'm looking at all the MSI boards that are compatible with Ryzen 7, and they all have several slots on them. do you see any very short connectors in between the two big slots?
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Does it look like this?

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Are you saying it has NO slots period or has no unoccupied slots?  If it has no unoccupied slots then you might consider if it is better for you to remove one of the interface cards and loose that functionality so that you can then plug in a firewire card and gain that functionality.  Maybe your computer expert can help you with that evaluation and decision.
  • Chris Tucker
    Chris Tucker Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks to everyone for all the help. I have decided to "get while the getting is good" and take the Pawn Shop up on their offer to refund all my money for this computer. LOL, this time, I will make sure whatever computer I buy will have the correct slot for a Firewire Board. 
  • Robert KB6QXM
    Robert KB6QXM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Considering how many engineers are in the hobby, I am surprised that someone has not engineered a "retrofit" to remove the firewire interface from the Flex3000 and Flex 5000a to an interface that will sustain the data rates of Firewire that will allow people to use these rigs for at least another decade.  In the earlier days of Flex Radio, they had options were you would send the rig back to the factory to do factory installs such as the V/U upgrade or the 160 meter CW issue retrofit. I would of enjoyed seeing Flex Radio engineer a solution for the Firewire obsolescence. Of course that would probably not have the ROI for Flex Radio and maybe hams would choose the retrofit over buying a new 6XXX series and SAAS model versus the free upgrade PowerSDR model. I guess it was a business decision. 
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Robert, 

It's more of the simultaneous data channels transferred than the actual speed.  USB just has not had the resources to keep up with the FW total transfer on a continuous basis as verses a data burst .   The 3000 and 5000 work in full duplex ..   Now there are some that have used ThunderBolt  interface in a MacBook or iMac ,  running BootCamp to run the Apple PCs with Windows from Microsoft,  then using a FireWire to ThunderBolt conversion with good results. Still a FW out of the radio ,  just a different interface in the computer..   

Just do not get fooled into a FireWire to USB interface,  it does not work...    

Dudley
    WA5QPZ
  • Robert KB6QXM
    Robert KB6QXM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Dudley, Thank you for your quick response. I could not even go with your possible solution. I am a 100% PC user and do not own an Apple product. If there was a potential solution, it would have to be a PC-based alternative solution at the computer.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you do not have a motherboard video output, replace the current video card with a single slot video card, such as MSI Gaming GeForce GT 710 2GB, sold on Amazon, then you will have a slot for the Fire wire card.  
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    If you need a PCI-e Firewire card I am pretty sure I have one available. Just pay shipping. Dave wo2x
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2020
    Robert

In addition to what Dudly mentioned ...

If you have a PC with slots in it, you can purchase a FireWire card from Amazon and you are good to go.  You have to try a few different vendors cards before you find one that works.  

Mike

• Robert KB6QXM
    Robert KB6QXM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am in the process of bringing my Flex 5000a back on the air after being off the air in excess of 5 years. Do you have a list online of the acceptable Firewire cards with the proper chip sets? Brands and models that are still available for purchase that will work with either Win 7 or Win 10. As I remember how difficult it was to bring my Flex 5000a on the air the first time, I will have to go through the process once again. From all of the ferrite snap ons for all of the computer connections to all of the grounding to ensure that there was no more RF ingress to my audio. The purchase of a balanced microphone to minimize RF ingress. It would be nice if someone published a step by step manual on the setup and installation of a Flex 5000a. I remember how much effort I had to put into the setup 5 years ago and now I will be running an amplifier which potentially could increase the level of complexity for installation. I think that the installation instructions with part numbers for snap-on ferrites, suggested Firewire cards and other technical setups would be a helpful document. I would even consider compiling and writing it with the assistance of the Flex community.
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    SIIG FireWire card. Still widely available.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Robert,

With Win10 ,  the older TI chipset FW cards will not work well,  the newer TI chipsets or all of the VIA chipset based FW cards work,  stay away from the JMicron based,  but most of them are not being sold any longer.  You will need a 1394a (6 pin) to mate up to the 5000 or you can use the 4 pin that is commonly on some of the laptops.  PCI or PCIe ,  most of the newer computers will only have 1x to 16x PCIe slots    Here is an example sith VIA chipset , and the extra bracket for low profile chassis- 

https://www.amazon.com/SEDNA-EXpress-Firewire-Adapter-external/dp/B00V07H52S/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=firewire+pcie+cards&qid=1592869683&sr=8-25

Here is one with TI chipset ..  

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Port-Express-FireWire-Card/dp/B08339PGM8/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=firewire+pcie+cards&qid=1592869683&sr=8-13

I like to stick with the better known brands, there are all kinds of strange Chinese brands I have no knowledge of..   

Most of the RFI issues people have had with the 5000 / 3000 have been from common mode RF in the shack,  a good common mode balun will cure most of these issues, just be sure to support the weight of the choke you use on the FW cable at the computer end,  the ground / shield of the FW connector is easily broken, and this can cause lots of issues, including destroying the FW chip in the radio ..    Also be careful to plug the FW cable in correctly,  it can go in upside down and instantly destroy the FW chips in the radio also ..   

Dudley
    WA5QPZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.