Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

5000A, ANC4 and Pro1b

Options
Robert KB6QXM
Robert KB6QXM Member ✭✭
I have a 5000a that I am looking to reduce my receive noise. I have purchased a ANC4 and a DX Engineering Pro1B loop. I am looking at using this in my receive chain. Can anyone give me a design idea and design constraints for the noise antenna? Anyone done this before and how was your results? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Robert, I have a 6400 and a borrowed QRM 180 (similar to the ANC-4). My noise antenna is a few clip leads lying close to my network gear and the attached noisy switching supplies. The huge noise source that I had on 10 M has gone away, so I can't assess that one until it returns. The rest of the unstable growling noises are very effectively cancelled. I also have a lot of plain old hetrodynes up and down the bands, and my setup does nothing to reduce them, so I probably need to do something different with the noise antenna. In the meantime, I am using the Flex TNF function to **** the hetrodynes. I don't want too good of a noise antenna, or I am afraid that I will attenuate desired signals with the noise. My suggestion is to find the worst offender and set up your noise antenna location and length to reduce it the most. 73, Len, KD0RC
  • Robert KB6QXM
    Robert KB6QXM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hello Len. Thank you for sharing your version of your noise antenna. What I would like is to find someone that has mounted a noise antenna outside. How long was the antenna? I cannot seem to find any online references to noise antennas. I will be using a separate receive antenna (Pro1B) loop and then null the noise on the loop with a rotor, then null the remaining noise between the noise antenna and loop. Hopefully that will help to reduce noise at my QTH.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Something I might try is a 5/8 wave 2 Meter antenna on my roof.  I am not using it now, so I might see what it does as a noise antenna.  It will be interesting to see how it behaves on different bands.  Now if I can just figure out which feedline it is coming in on...
    Len, KD0RC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.