Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No sidetone when N1MM+ sends CW using Maestro

Steven WA8Y
Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
Maestro is in the shack, with PC. When NN1MM+ makes a sidetone using it with SmartSDR. I have sidetone if I send was paddle either way. Is something configured wrong?

Answers

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    No this is behaving as designed right now..  logger generated cw sidetone is only audible directly from the transceiver audio out at this time, so you will need an external method to tap into the transceiver side tone audio should you need to hear it.  
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thank you. That is something I will work on. If I can't hear it, at least I could ask Tom (N1MM+) to see it, like Scott (N3FJP) does with his logger.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2020
    Hi Steve

There is a quick fix that I have used for testing.  I take the Speaker out from the radio and send it into a Line in on a local computer to the radio.  I then use VoiceMeeter to send the audio to a local computer over the internet.  

That is the high level overview of how it works.  Some users do use Skype to do the same thing or another sort of ability to run remote audio back to your operating position.  

Mike

• Pat KØPC
    Pat KØPC Member ✭✭

Steven,

If you set up N1MM for SO2R (even though you are only running SO1R) it will display the code being sent in text at the bottom of the entry window. I use this trick when I'm operating remote and can't hear the sidetone.

73, Pat KØPC

• Lu Romero
    Lu Romero Member ✭✭

My cheat is a hardware cheat (What can I say, I'm old!):

• Get a WinKeyer (or in my case, a microHAM CW Keyer). I happened to have several of these laying arournd fallow. Any keyer that can be computer controlled can be pressed into service for this kludge.
    • Set the Maestro to use a hand key and disable the internal paddle functionality. See the manual for how to do this.
    • on the N1MM computer, plug the WinKey USB cable into the computer; set the CW port to the WinKeyer in Logger.
    • Build a cable from the WinKey KEY OUT to the Maestro KEY IN - Make sure you set up the 1/8" *STEREO* plug as described for a hand key in the Maestro manual. Refer to the schematic in the manual for pinout. DO NOT use a mono plug!). You can also wire in PTT if your WinKey has one, in case you want to assert PTT when key down.
    • Plug the WinKey output into the Maestro's KEY socket, and, optionally, the PTT out of the WinKey into the PTT IN in Maestro.
    • Plug your paddles into the WinKey Paddle input.

Now, when you send with the paddles, the WinKey keys Maestro and Maestro generates sidetone: It thinks you are using a hand key. When N1MM sends a F-Key message, the logger will control the WinKey which will then key the Maestro, which will then generate sidetone.

The advantage of this is that sidetone is available in the Maestro headset output and/or the Maestro speaker output for both paddles and F-Key keying. It is also generated into the line output in case you need to record the contest for adjudication purposes.

The latency is no worse than when using paddles directly into the Maestro. The set up works either locally or remotely in the same way. When using the microHAM CW Keyer, it requires external 12v power. You can build a Y cable to feed 12vdc from the Maestro Power Brick so you dont need another wallwart... the brick has enough spare current to drive the Keyer. WinKey is powered via the computer's USB, so this is one less wire to deal with.

Until Flex comes up with a way to get F-Key sidetone when using a third party keying application, this works well and makes you feel like you are in front of a radio like in olden days.

Lu W4LT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.